New heavyweight 22-250?????

1320racing

Hey guys, I can’t decide which rifle to buy and I am looking for your opinion. Savage BVSS, Kimber Longmaster VT or the Browning Eclipse Target. All are heavy for sure, stainless 26” fluted barrels and laminated stocks. Does anybody have any experience with these rifles? Help me decide. Thank you for your input.

I also have a BVSS in .308, the stock is really designed for prone shooting. I like it to shoot off the bench too. Savage also makes the 22-250 with the same weight barrel in the Varmint Low Profile you can get it in a 1x9 twist or the1x12 like the BVSS.

I once wanted a BVSS so bad I could taste it, mainly because of
the appearance of the stock. At the time, there were none to be
had, for whatever reason. A dealer talked me into trying out the
Varmint Low Profile, stating the stock was better designed for
bench, and bi-pod as well. So I went with it and was so pleased
that I got two more in other calibers, ending up with .22-250,
.243 and .25-06 (yes, the did make a VLP long action at one
time).

If you could find a slightly used VLP with the older style blind
magazine, I would highly recommend it....the reason being that
Savage did not limit the length you can seat bullets like they
do with their detachable magazine. For that reason, I would not
trade any of mine for a brand new model. They are very, very
accurate.

Three guys at the club are shooting the 12LRPV and all 3 shoot very good for a factory barrel. No, they shoot very, very good.

Do yourself a favor. Stay away from slow twist. Sooner or later you will want to shoot the bigger .22 bullets in the 68 and above weights. The 12 twist will let you down.

Back in the 1930's when the 220swift was a big hit for Winchester.
Remington had to do something so it gave birth to the 22-250rem.
Now, I am a big fan of the swift. I have always shot 45gr OP bullets.
If I need a bigger bullet. I shoot one of my 5,56mm or a 243win's.
The reason I like the swift is it will turn a ground hog into a pink mist.

I was considering the 9 twist. I do shoot heavy for caliber in most guns. My 9 twist R700 police shoots 69gr Sierra TMK’s great. I was thinking this gun would stick with 55gr Sierra Spire points fore yotes and VMAX for smaller game. Decisions.... decisions.....

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanIve found 12 twist shoot 53s great.. 60s not so much. the 9 twist mcgowen on my other .22-250 loves 80gr bergers.

I have a 12fv Cabela's special with a 12 twist that does best with the Hornady 60gr Vmax. Even find going with 69gr smks I can put them in .5" at 100, but they don't group beyond that. The Vmax is easy hits on a 4" steel plate at 450 yards on most days.

Back