Mossberg MVP Varmint

Tap2K

I was at my local gun shop and got to handle one of these and I have to say I was impressed with the quality. The stock felt good, the bolt decent and the trigger was good for a factory rifle. But I know nothing about Mossberg rifles.Do any of you have any experience with these?I'm a little gun shy (excuse the pun) because its not a traditional rifle maker and I have heard horror stories about their shotguns. Any thoughts? Accuracy?

Thanks

I bought one of these when the first came out. It is a nice looking rifle.
I took it home and took it apart. removed the receiver screws out of the rifle.
The front screw was held in place buy one thread.
The shell pickup on the bottom of the bolt, looks like a problem.
I took it back and got my money

I bought a used Mini Mauser from Yugoslavia, never look back.

I had one in .223.
It gave no problems.Feeds better from magpul mag.
It would do less than 1/2 inch consistently with 55 grain Sierras. Never looked farther.
I gave it to my grand daughter. (Actually her Dad till she is old enough.)
The bolt looks odd and it is not as smooth as rifles that cost more but it has worked fine so far.
Mossberg has been around for a long time.
All things considered I thought it was a better rifle than others that are more popular in the same price range.
But I might have just got a good one who knows.

I've had one in 223 for a couple of years. No problems what so ever. Shoots my reloads in the half inch range. Nice beater truck gun.

willy1947 said:
I bought one of these when the first came out. It is a nice looking rifle.
I took it home and took it apart. removed the receiver screws out of the rifle.
The front screw was held in place buy one thread.

If you need receive screws, the local ACE hardware has plenty. For the price point they are good guns. Mossberg, Savage Axis, Ruger American. Pretty much the same, although I do like the wood stocks on the Mossberg vice the plastic ones on the others. Again, for the money a pretty good gun.

MGYGT, You sure a right Sargent. It is a pretty rifle.
That lip that hangs down to pick up a shell just looks like wants to break.
Any Company ships a firearm out with short screws. #%&@
I called Mossberg and they were no help at all. They had no screws.
My local gun shop sent all of his back to the dealer's warehouse.

Mossberg has one with a threaded barrel, I may buy, $720
If they have fixed that bolt. But it has that a rubber stock.

Mossberg Rifle

I like Mossberg I have 2 590A1 shotguns. One of them I have that Mini-Clip in so I can shoot 1 1/2 inch shells.
My grandsons like shooting it at clay birds.

I have both the varmint and the predator models. They both shot well under an inch groups but that lip on the bolt worried me. I never had trouble with it but it just appeared weak. Both had nice stocks. They seamed to be built solid.

I had the regular mvp predator it shot the cheap Colorado Buck 55 grain ballistic tips under 1/2” group. I shot alot of coyotes with it, but the feed lip durability just worried me a little.

Back