# 60

Snowshoes

This morning I had the perfect spot in mind to collect coyote number 60, however the magic feeling wore off after almost two hours of sitting! I did see a couple coyotes but couldn't call them over.
Coyotes have a way of humbling a guy and they did just that, with them ignoring me in my supposedly guaranteed coyote whacking area.
Walked back to the truck feeling a little discouraged but there was other areas to check out.
From there I drove to the area I seen a couple coyotes yesterday and on the drive in, I see a coyote laying down next to the bush. This bedded coyote looked to be on my packed snowmobile trail. Continued north to check out the slough bottoms but there wasn’t a coyote to be seen. Turned around at a lease site and drove back south and sure enough the coyote was still there. Parked in my usual spot and now the sneak was on. Followed my snowmobile trail and as I crested the last hill, I slowed the pace down in hopes of not alerting the coyote. There was a thin stand of trees hiding my now northerly sneak but the coyote picked me out and got up and walked into the trees.
I figured, I’m this far now, I may as well continue further west and see if I could call a coyote from the west bush. There was a small clump of standing canola that got missed by the swather and it was just big enough to break up my outline, this is where I would sit. The bush was 175 yards away and I thought if a coyote shows, it would likely just come to the edge of the trees and not venture into the field.
Started off with yelps from the cow horn howler and its only a minute before seeing a coyote at the edge of the trees. The sun is in the coyotes eyes but it sure looked the field over for that yelper. I zoom the scope up and placed the crosshairs onto coyote fur. A squeeze of the trigger looked to drop the coyote but I wasn’t 100% sure. Some more yelps from the howler to see if there was any other interest but it did not produce any more curious eyes.
A walk through deep snow to where I hoped the coyote would be, made me really appreciate the packed snowmobile trail I had walked in on.
A feeling of relief flowed over me when I saw the coyote laying there!
I could have come back with the snowmobile but there was only one coyote today, so I put the deer drag harness on and made the ½ mile trek with a coyote in tow. A decent male.

Last edited:
Thanks guys
thumbup1.gif

Love reading your posts, you nail the description so well their's almost nothing to be imagined.

I will admit I have some catching up to do on your season, looking forward to it.

Great area your in for calling!

Back