Shotgun AND Rifle?

Chris623

I've read several threads on the forum that say people take both a shotgun and a rifle when they hunt coyotes. Not sure I understand why both?

I take both if the walk isn't bad mile maybe mile and a half. I like to have the option. It also depends on the terrain. If I am on the desert usually don't take the shotgun. In the timber I take it with me. I have had coyotes do what I call a drive by, just come running in full speed and don't stop. Nice to have a shotgun at that time. Hope this helps.

Well, there's really nothing to fear from a coyote is there? I can see carrying a shotty when huntin'
bear, but coyote?????? I don't get it. Is it just because it would be hard to shoot one at full speed runnin' at right angles to you with the scoped rifle?

Last edited:
Much depends on the terrain and also how a guy chooses to handle the coyotes. In other words, if you're in tight terrain where you can't see far and a coyote can quickly show up and also disappear it leaves little room to get an easy standing shot with a rifle, so a shotgun makes since. In more wide open country where a guy can usually see them coming for a long ways and can easily get them to stop for a standing shot at any given time, a shotgun doesn't make much since UNLESS a guy just wants to let them come all the way to the call then they can do that without worrying about things going bad at close range, then a shotgun is again a good choice to have handy.

The choice of the shotgun has NOTHING to do with fearing them, it has to do with getting them killed efficiently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: songdogThe choice of the shotgun has NOTHING to do with fearing them, it has to do with getting them killed efficiently.

I think songdog hit the nail on the head with this one. I hope it answers your questions.

Okay, I get it.............finally. Just a little thick-headed sometimes........heck, most of the time. Thanks for splainin' me.

Last edited:
I carry both on short walks, as said earlier. But I almost always carry one when hunting with a partner. Even here on the prairie they can slip in on you.

When you get run over and only have the rifle you'll be wishing you had the shotgun.

When you have the shotgun and one hangs up you'll be wishing you had the rifle.

Answer, bring both. I sit with the shotty ready and if I see one at range I have time to switch to the rifle that I already have sitting on shooting sticks ready to go.

Originally Posted By: Chris623So what size shot do you fellas recommend..................#4 buck???
In Oklahoma you can only use BB shot or smaller. Winchester Varmint X 3" BB is what I use.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerOriginally Posted By: Chris623So what size shot do you fellas recommend..................#4 buck???
In Oklahoma you can only use BB shot or smaller. Winchester Varmint X 3" BB is what I use.

Just turned on the computer this morning to see your post. I've searched the Internet until I'm blue in the face and all I can find about firearms or ammunition in the laws in Oklahoma are that only .22 rifles and pistols can be used from sunset to sunrise for coyote............and not lights of any kind are to be used for spotting.

So if your have a link, I'd sure appreciate it. Don't want to end up on the wrong side of the law on this subject.

Last weekend I only had my rifle with me and it cost me a coyote... I had one charge in, knock over my caller, turn and pass me at 5 yards. I couldn't get a shot off because he was in so close and fast.

If I had the shotgun it'd be in a picture with a story attached with its own thread!!

I've only lost 2 0r 3 coyotes in all the years I've been calling because I didn't have both guns with me. I usually call in wide open pastures and when one comes in fast and real close I'll let it pass and either try and howl it to a stop or shoot at it while its going away on a trot.

Ive carried both in the past and I always have the wrong gun in my hand when they show up, and that costs me more coyotes than not having a shotgun.

If you think its "cool" to kill one with a shotgun then by all means carry one. If you just want to kill coyotes I think you would be better off just carrying a rifle.

Just got an e-mail from the Oklahoma Wildlife Dept. You are absolutely correct, anything over BB size is illegal to use for hunting any animal except Porky Pigs. Shock to me. Don't see how that would be any good on a coyote unless he was within about 50 feet. I don't see me ever learnin' to call one in that close.

Last edited:
actually a good stiff load of BB's is very effective from a good patterning shotgun well beyond 50'. A shotgun with a good pattern of BB's will kill a coyote out to 50 yards without much problem.

you will call a coyote into your lap someday without trying. It just happens sometimes no matter if you've learned to do it or not.

If the low end on your scope goes down to 1x or 2x it will really help those up close shots if you are not going to lug both. Lugging both is way too much for me, but if there are 2 hunters then you should have one rifle one shotgun.

Back