Hunting in high grass???

Lou

Some of the place that I'm hunting has high grass, maybe knee high or so. What do you guys use when hunting in this kind of situation? there is not much for high ground.

Thanks in advance.

It's heavy sagebrush here, don't give up a correct stand for a location. Call them to you and don't educate them. Use the sun in your favor might be the only advice for that situation and pack a shotgun.

I saw a post a while back about a guy that used a ghillie suit and would just stand rather than sit down at the calling stands. The one frustrating thing about calling in Tallgrass is they will usually smell you way before you get a chance to see them

Last edited:
I borrow a Cat with a 20 ft flail mower and make a curved path to where I want to setup.
One place only had a quad with 30 ft shulte mower and I drew lines on a map where they cut and added a few extra passes.

I would rather hunt in knee high grass than ankle high grass. I does not take much elevation to see more than just their head and neck, especially if you are sitting on a stool. In a few weeks we will have knee high wheat fields, I have spots that I don't call until the wheat gets that high. The first coyote i killed today was in knee high grass, he came in bouncing, trying to see the sound source. They also have more confidence coming in, just like waiting for the wheat fields to get knee high and all the vegetation can help slow them from hard charging in and out with poor shot opportunity. I always look for some type of "block" to set the call in or behind when I pick a setup. Sometimes it pays off, other times they kamikaze right into the brush pile or thicket, in thick grass I don't worry about it as much.

I'm in Oklahoma too and a lot of my areas are very flat. If I can't find elevation I look for a depressions like creek beds or find edges of different cover like tree rows or agricultural fields. Sometimes you just gotta say screw it and pass on the stand, especially the ones where if you called one in you would not even be able to see it...

Everything Infidel said^^^^^^^^^

Had it here for the 2 years in a row prior to this year. Started out hating it, ended up loving it.
Coyotes that aren't just charging the call will approach where it's easy to travel. I picked a lot of them up out of a cow path.
Look for ears or heads or the white on their chest. I too found that they are more confident in their approach but will often get to a distance where they can see and sit down and look for the source.
Finding them after the shot can be tough unless you can line up a landmark where they lay. Retrieving multiples is really tough.

If Your on Public Land as mentioned by Infidel...look for any low spots and sit up on the highest elevation spot so You can see further out.

If Your on Your own Private Land try to set up over looking any paths,Roads or thinner less tall grass....here at Home on our Farm I Mow/Brush Hog the Field edges and strips thru the middle of our fields that give me the visual advantage where I'm sitting up in one of our many Deer Stands.The Coyotes will use the mowed paths because they need to see what's making the Distress Sounds and like Deer they take the path of least resistance.

Last edited:
Back