Caller info

Chris623

I've shot a lot of yotes over the past 19 years I've lived out here in the Oklahoma woods. But I was just protecting my llamas. Wasn't for sport. Now I've this AR and working up a good yote round and wanting to see if I can call one in. Not gearing up to be a serious hunter, so not going to spend any money on an electronic caller. (which I'm sure is a lot better) I'm wondering if any of the manual callers are effective. For example, I've been looking at the Dakota Yote and Varmint callers. http://dakotayote.com/ But I'm sure those aren't the only ones. Any suggestions you guys could give me?

Chris, look in the hand call or custom calls section here. Lots of great guy's to deal with here.Most of them will even chat with you on the phone about how to use them. And their prices are more than reasonable.

Chris,
Just for experimentation, I have had one of those Dakota howlers.

IMHO, they are a cheap plasic call. And that is exactly how it sounds...cheap & unnatural.

IMHO, it sounds like crap, compared to custom made howlers...whether they have wood, antler or horn bodies.

I have many, many howlers from many different custom call makers (some who are no longer on this forum; some who have simply stopped making calls; & a couple who have passed on).
Even the WORST of these custom howlers are 10X better, & more natural sounding, than the Dakota howler.
But, I'm sure there are at least a couple of people somewhere in the world who would disagree with that statement. HAHAHAHA

Kind of figured that, Will. I'm all about anything wood or antler/natural horn. Just seems more natural to me. I'm going to stay away from anything injection molded.

Last edited:
Back