Answers to Newbie Questions

Originally Posted By: bearmanricHere are my machined call. Hunted in Arizona with Jeremy Bailey he loved this call in a

............in a what?

Originally Posted By: Chris623Okay, so just how many and what type calls does the average yote hunter end up with? I know there are calls that mimic the yotes themselves and then there are hurt rabbit calls and raven calls. Oh and then the distressed fawn calls. So what would the average hunter consider a "proper" brace of calls?

Chris, on a normal hunting day I usually carried 4 calls.

...A true variable-pitch open reed, so I had the ability (with practice) to make several types of distress sounds from a single call.

...A closed reed call, with a pitch that allowed me to make "non-ordinary" sounds, such as kid goat distress & lamb distress.

...A "coaxer", that I actually used for varied bird distress (as a main calling sound on light wind days), instead of as an actual coaxing sound.

...And a howler...90% of the time a horn howler.
The howlers that I have always preferred are ones that do nice "pup"/"YOY" pitched vocals.
I found that by using those higher pitches, I was less likely to discourage young or timid sub-dominate coyotes from coming to my howls...at any point during the year.
I would usually save the more "adult" sounding howls for mating season.

...For coaxing in coyotes (once they were within 300-400 yds), I have always simply used lip squeaks.
IMHO, a lot of hunters don't believe that lip squeaks volume carries out as far as it does.
Granted, the higher the wind, the less it carries...that's a given.
But remember, a coyote's hearing is so much better than a human's.
And there's no better way to coax hands free, than by using lip squeaks. Just my opinion.

From time to time, I would carry 2 additional calls...what I always thought of as "confidence" calls.

...A crow call.

...And a closed reed that was pitched "jack". However, I wouldn't do jack distess with it.
Instead, I would use it to make rooster pheasant "flushing cackles"; or domestic chicken distress sounds.

I have never owned an e-call.
So, I wanted to be able to make as many different sounds as I could learn to do on hand calls.
I used to drive for a living.
And I would constantly practice (everything EXCEPT HOWLING!!!), as I drove around my routes.
That meant that I would practice for hours, nearly every day.
Unfortunately, a lot of guys only put mouth to call when they are actually hunting.
The fewer amount of time spent actually blowing a call, the less a person might learn to do with that call...IMHO.

The suggestions other guys made, for call makers, IMHO are spot on.

Sage advice Will!

I too practice when I'm driving. Every time I drive, I pull my practice call out of the cup holder of the truck and run through some calling sequences. It becomes second nature.

R

Originally Posted By: Chris623Thanks. Lots of good advice, Will.

You are welcome, sir.

I will NEVER, EVER claim to be any kind of "expert".
However, as someone with a couple decades of successful calling experience...and unfortunately, someone who can physically [sp] no longer get out and hunt like I would like...I try to help out new guys if & when I can.

I've a Swift from Carver...........and am having trouble getting it soft enough. Sure wouldn't try and use it inside a closed vehicle. It would blow my brains out.

I have one of those.
I can get just about any volume I want, incl. quite softly.

Have you (I'm sure you have, but) tried blowing like a "whisper"? What I mean is: like the gentle teasing blowing that give to your wife's neck, that makes her little hairs stand at attention.

That Swift, IMHO, is one of those calls that takes a very small amount of air to use.

Yes, I have, Will...............but I can't get it to sound like a rabbit in extreme distress when I do. Can't seem to get that raspy tail at the end with lighter air. Just got it today, so I've a whole lot of time to learn. Rudy told me just to blow it more softly. I'm sure both of you are right.........it's just going to take me some time to figure it out.

Last edited:
cool.gif

The swift call is the most quiet call I make by a long shot.. you can take it down to almost a non existent sound.. You can always give me a shout on the phone and I can walk ya through how to use it
thumbup1.gif

Thanks, Kerry. I'm going to be busy all day with a young furniture builder who has latched onto me as a mentor. He needs to use my shop. But I'll try and give you a call sometime this week. I really want to know how to obtain an "almost non-existent" sound on this call. At this point, the only way I can keep it from turning off my hearing aids is to cup both hands in front of it and seal them tightly.

Reffering to badtothebone's comment, is this a single or double reeded call?

Well, I know this is an older thread, but my question goes right along with the original intent.

I've just recently finished my lanyard, thanks to the generosity and help of fw707.

p2957592879-5.jpg

As you can see, it looks pretty naked with only two calls on it. I've a Swift rabbit distress call from Carver and a Cow Horn Tip Howler from Bearmanrick. Like them both and working hard to learn how to use them so they sound convincing. But that leaves 4 empty "nooses" on my lanyard. Any suggestions as to what I need to start saving up money for?

I ALWAYS carry 2 bunny bombs (badtothebone) and 2 acrylics, 1 from catwhacker and 1 from crooked creek custom calls. All 4 are open reeds....but be careful, if you start buying custom calls you'll soon have enough to fill 5 or 6 lanyards!!

Last edited:
Back