12 Micron core Pulsar

Kevinfarmer3456

I saw a FB post from Pulsar that stated they are working to create a 12 micron core for the next updated model. If they succeede, would this be the end for IR Defense if they don't step it up and release some new bells and whistles?

Originally Posted By: Brad BaranouskasIR Defense has proven products that DO NOT have problems, and that's all I'm gonna say about that! well i dont entirely agree with that. Yes they have an excellent product, but a quick google search will turn up that they have had their fair share of bugs to work out also. Truthfully, i dont think any company is going to be completely flawless when it comes to Thermals. Theres just way too many computer parts and software problems involved for some thing to never go wrong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brad BaranouskasIR Defense has proven products that DO NOT have problems, and that's all I'm gonna say about that!

Have you ACTUALLY bought anything yet, or are you just hanging around stirring the pot. For a guy that doesn't own a Pulsar you show up in every thread b---hing about them. I'm curious why?

Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: Brad BaranouskasIR Defense has proven products that DO NOT have problems, and that's all I'm gonna say about that! well i dont entirely agree with that. Yes they have an excellent product, but a quick google search will turn up that they have had their fair share of bugs to work out also. Truthfully, i dont think any company is going to be completely flawless when it comes to Thermals. Theres just way too many computer parts and software problems involved for some thing to never go wrong.

I have been around NV a while now. I don't know of any manufacturer that doesn't have issue of one kind of another.

Pulsar has had their share of issues this year. However, I also agree there isn't a manufacturer of thermal products that hasn't had issues. Talk to a reputable dealer and Trijicon has had their share of issues as well. The more features you add to the technology, the higher the risk of issues. If you really watch the Pulsar or Thermal pages, typically you hear about 3 issues with Pulsar: Wifi connection to StreamVision, POI shift, and their mount. Hopefully POI shift will be taken care of now with the latest update but only time will tell. Has it been frustrating, heck yes for those who have been through it. The connection to StreamVision seems to be an issue for some. I have experienced it myself. However, with the number of OS updates and models of smart phones, it doesn't shock me there are connection issues at times. For me, it continues to improve with each release. As far as their mount, they have a new QD lock and there is always the ZeroDlta mount as well. Many use the stock mount and like it so it just depends on the need.

There is a reason Pulsar was totally out of stock. They provide an excellent product with a ton of features. There have been issues with the Trail model, and hopefully most or all will be corrected soon. The POI shift had a significant impact on my hunting season, but I do not regret buying a Trail. When the POI shift had no immediate answer and Pulsar was out of stock, the dealer I bought the Pulsar from said he would credit me towards any other brand's scope. However, there is nothing out there in a similar price range with as good of image with similar features. I chose to wait, and hopefully it will be a good decision.

Lol, research, I’ve made my mind up and am ordering a Trijicon in a few weeks. Not stirring the pot, I was days from getting a Pulsar XP50 and was very disappointed in what I have been reading, guess you could say I had my hopes up for the Pulsar. The features are amazing, but there’s no way I’m taking a chance on something with a moving zero. Yep I understand that the bugs need to be worked out, but it’s not a proven product like Trijicon. Then I see the 12 micron question and think it’s funny there coming out with that when there has been so many issues with the Trail. Trijicon obsolescent....that’ll never happen.

Pulsar doesn't make the thermal core, FLIR does. They announced the 640 core 12m Boson core almost 2 years ago. Wouldn't be surprised if they started using it.

By all accounts the 384 12 m Boson cores are great so I bet the 640 will be too. Plus I think is lower cost, but not sure on that.

Originally Posted By: UndrcoverrednekPulsar doesn't make the thermal core, FLIR does. They announced the 640 core 12m Boson core almost 2 years ago. Wouldn't be surprised if they started using it.

By all accounts the 384 12 m Boson cores are great so I bet the 640 will be too. Plus I think is lower cost, but not sure on that. with that in mind, i have this question. All else being equal, does the change from 17 to 12 micron core make more or less difference than the change from 384 to 640? Which one gives you the most benefit in terms of clarity?

Last edited:
I thought ULIS made the thermal cores for Pulsar but perhaps I'm wrong. Plus, the specs list the FLIR 233 as 320x256 Microblometer.

Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456Originally Posted By: UndrcoverrednekPulsar doesn't make the thermal core, FLIR does. They announced the 640 core 12m Boson core almost 2 years ago. Wouldn't be surprised if they started using it.

By all accounts the 384 12 m Boson cores are great so I bet the 640 will be too. Plus I think is lower cost, but not sure on that. with that in mind, i have this question. All else being equal, does the change from 17 to 12 micron core make more or less difference than the change from 384 to 640? Which one gives you the most benefit in terms of clarity?

I've been wondering this same thing. With magnification being the same, will the 17um 640 unit look better than a 12um 320?

I've been playing with a pts233 for a couple months and am impressed with the image, but wonder how it would compare to the Flir tau 2 that is 17 um 640.

A 640 detector will still have four times the pixel count of a 320 detector. It will have improved resolution no matter the pixel pitch. The reason companies like bae, drs, flir, etc. are going to a 12 micron is for reduced detector size and reduced cost. The display plays a large role in what the detector is actually seeing. The emagin display is one of the best ones offered in a consumer product.

Originally Posted By: kyle crickenbergerA 640 detector will still have four times the pixel count of a 320 detector. It will have improved resolution no matter the pixel pitch. The reason companies like bae, drs, flir, etc. are going to a 12 micron is for reduced detector size and reduced cost. The display plays a large role in what the detector is actually seeing. The emagin display is one of the best ones offered in a consumer product. you're speaking German to me can you elaborate on this a little more please. So technically is a 12 Micron core better than a 17 even though it is less expensive?

12 microns is the lower limit to what pixel size will ever go with uncooled Vanadium Oxide microbolometers since that is about the wavelength at which they are receiving midwave IR.

Originally Posted By: SkyPup12 microns is the lower limit to what pixel size will ever go with uncooled Vanadium Oxide microbolometers since that is about the wavelength at which they are receiving midwave IR. Are u saying 12 microns is about as small as these units will ever get?

Last edited:
The spectral range of an uncooled Vanadium Oxide microbolometer is Midwave Infrared heat radiation from 7.5 µm – 13.5 µm electromagnetic wavelength.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupThe spectral range of an uncooled Vanadium Oxide microbolometer is Midwave Infrared heat radiation from 7.5 µm – 13.5 µm electromagnetic wavelength. im sorry to say this, but ur still way way over my head. Dumb it down for me a bit.

Yep, dumb it down for me too, like how all this translates in the field, what a guy sees such as with resolution, image brightness etc. Which one has better resolution / clarity and brightness? 17 core or 12, or is there little difference? Which is more desirable? My momma didn't raise no dummy but she didn't raise a rocket scientist either. LOL.

It simply means that the individual size of the thermoresistor in the microbolometer substrate that is capturing the radiant heat energy is not going to be any smaller than the actual electromagnetic wavelength of which it is sampling....

Back