Barnes m/le RRLP bullets

Hcboy

Does anyone here have any experience with these bullets from Barnes. I’m looking into them for coyote hunting and found them for .277 caliber in an 85 grain and thought it would work good. Here’s the description:

Barnes new RRLP (Reduced Ricochet, Limited Penetration) bullets feature a frangible, powdered-metal copper-tin core inside a guilding metal jacket. The bullets are lead-free often a requirement in military and LE practice environments. These open-tip bullets wont come apart in mid-air, even at very high velocities and extreme rates of spin. They combine accuracy with explosive fragmentation.

They are also called MPG which is multipurpose green. They work good by what I see on videos. I like the idea of using my .270 Winchester in a light grain bullet.

Last edited:
I tested a few out of my 6.8 by shooting into a 12"-14" stack of phone books. All shots penciled right through and didn't expand as far as I could tell. They may perform better on something live but I didn't test them any further.

Shot a deer with one at 225ish yards. It tore the shoulder up pretty good but it did exit from a 16" 6.8.
Shot a coyote later that evening at 400ish yards. Pencil in and pencil out.
I use them for blasting now.
Im sure in a 270 at closer ranges they would act as a frangible. But at 6.8 velocity at 200 yards+ they dont do much of anything.

Originally Posted By: Houser in NCI tested a few out of my 6.8 by shooting into a 12"-14" stack of phone books. All shots penciled right through and didn't expand as far as I could tell. They may perform better on something live but I didn't test them any further.

At what yardage did you shoot the phone books ?

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanShot a deer with one at 225ish yards. It tore the shoulder up pretty good but it did exit from a 16" 6.8.
Im sure in a 270 at closer ranges they would act as a frangible. But at 6.8 velocity at 200 yards+ they dont do much of anything.

I’m guessing that I should be able to push the 85 grain bullet around 3500-3600 FPS from the muzzle. Do you think that would be enough for them to expand at 300+ yards? Were you disappointed with what you thought that it should do based on the description that Barnes gives?

Originally Posted By: HcboyOriginally Posted By: Houser in NCI tested a few out of my 6.8 by shooting into a 12"-14" stack of phone books. All shots penciled right through and didn't expand as far as I could tell. They may perform better on something live but I didn't test them any further.

At what yardage did you shoot the phone books ?

It was less than 50 yards but I can't remember the exact distance. Velocity was approx. 2900fps

WOW does that make any sense to you that it just pencil holed through given the description that Barnes lists for the reason of this bullet? How many times did you try it and what do you use the remainder of the bullets for? That definitely does sound like it would be what I’m looking for in a coyote round.

Originally Posted By: HcboyWOW does that make any sense to you that it just pencil holed through given the description that Barnes lists for the reason of this bullet? How many times did you try it and what do you use the remainder of the bullets for? That definitely does sound like it would be what I’m looking for in a coyote round.

It was years ago when I tested them but if I recall correctly I shot them 5 or 6 times at the phone books. The rest were shot at paper.

Originally Posted By: HcboyOriginally Posted By: NonnieselmanShot a deer with one at 225ish yards. It tore the shoulder up pretty good but it did exit from a 16" 6.8.

I’m guessing that I should be able to push the 85 grain bullet around 3500-3600 FPS from the muzzle. Do you think that would be enough for them to expand at 300+ yards? Were you disappointed with what you thought that it should do based on the description that Barnes gives?

SSA Velocity is only around 2850. I think i could only get them to 2900 before getting into pressure from a 16" barrel. They have quite the bearing surface. Unless your trying them out of something other than a 6.8?
Barnes states this
"They combine accuracy with explosive fragmentation"
Being a frangible i would expect them to act more like a Varmint bullet like a Vmax or something similar. But to pencil through even after going through bones in a shoulder. I just use them for blasting.

Back