New 22-250 Brass?

Dawg Down

Looking to get some 22-250 brass. Found some Federal and Winchester that are new, for a decent price. Just wondered what you guys like and what brands to stay away from. Can't really afford the Laupa or Norma brass right now. Thanks

I know it's sometimes a hard pill to swallow paying up for Lapua brass but I can promise you, in the long run, it will easily pay for itself because unless you do something to wreck it, the stuff lasts a VERY longgggggg time.

Buy Federal over Winchester. Hearing that Winchester has inferior brass and people are finding split brass in the bag. Which is unfortunate to say the least. Rudy

FWIW Ackleyman is saying he's finding the new SIG brass better than anything in it's price class, and maybe as good as anything. Everybody seems to be out of the 22-250 right now till the end of the month or so? I'll be picking some up shortly for a wildcat project.

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like Brownells has everything but SIG 250 brass in stock. That's where I was looking at the different brass.

Win. seems to work fine for me also, Fed brass has been soft for me and primer pockets open with mild reloads. Win. does have crumpled necks, last bag had only one the rest were just fine. It is a little disappointing, Win used to sent a couple extra in the bag but no longer. Other than soft Feds most brass has been just fine for me.

Ive had good luck with the last 100 pieces of Hornady .22-250 brass i got.
53gr Nosler Varmageddon at 600 yards was extremely surprising. Went 5 for 5 on spray paint cans after i got my drop figured out. Only on the first reload [beeep]. Will see how long they last.

Lapua is well worth the money [beeep]. Ive had 100 pieces .22-250 since 2009 and it still holding in there. Used it on 600 yard Fclass for 2 years and its paid for itself a few times im sure. No splits or anything funny. 36gr H414 with 80gr Berger and BR2's.

Some Remington .22-250 brass i had was only good for one shot and then never knew where that shot was going to land. But it did good enough in my nephews .22-250 he uses them for deer hunting.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootHere is some more mud, Jagemann brass made in Wisconsin. 20 bucks/50 @ Natchezz.

I have to check this brass out, there was a recent review in Handloader magazine. It said this company is already established with metals manufacturing, then recently branched out into brass cases.

Now that I’ve used lapua brass I just can’t bring myself to using commercially made American brass anymore. I won’t kick a gift horse in the mouth though and that particular gift horse happens to be called Peterson brass.
I currently have a 50 piece test going using Peterson and lapua brass in 308.
Identical loads and brass prep. I’m on my 7th firing on each so far. I anneal on the third firing. Primer pockets are still good on both test lots. Should have 10 firings on each by the end of May.
I’m pretty pleased with the Peterson brass so far and it’s made in America and is significantly cheaper than lapua.

Buy Lapua. Buy once, cry once. I have 200 pieces of 223 Lapua that was shot as 223, then necked down to 20 Practical, then back to 223. Don't have a clue how many times its been shot but still has tight primer pockets and works just fine. Personally, I would choose Hornady over Winchester. The last two bags of Winchester I bought were junk. JMO!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogBuy Lapua. Buy once, cry once. I have 200 pieces of 223 Lapua that was shot as 223, then necked down to 20 Practical, then back to 223. Don't have a clue how many times its been shot but still has tight primer pockets and works just fine. Personally, I would choose Hornady over Winchester. The last two bags of Winchester I bought were junk. JMO!

Good advice from the birthday boy.
Hope you have a Happy Birthday!!!

thumbup1.gif

I’ve had great experience with PPU. I’ve found a deal at cabelas a time or two that had loaded round prices at about .50 per. Makes for good inexpensive brass.

Originally Posted By: LowerRiverI’ve had great experience with PPU. I’ve found a deal at cabelas a time or two that had loaded round prices at about .50 per. Makes for good inexpensive brass.

Several years ago I bought 500 rounds of 22-250 from SG Ammo. I agree brass looks very good and strong. I’m down to one box left, and I’ll be so happy to get this sorry stuff shot up. My Savage hates it, sure missed some easy shots at coyotes. Some hits dead on then some high and some low. Never ever ever again! Also bought newer Winchester.308 ammo for brass from Wal-Mart, can squeeze necks in with my fingers it’s so soft. Don’t think I’ll even try to load it.

Back