Pulsar XP50 Zero Issues and Info

Originally Posted By: KirschI ran a quick test tonight. First thing is anyone who does the firmware update, needs to zero their rifle again. Pulsar said this but I thought it would probably be close. I wasn't even on a 24"x24" target at 100 yards. It shocked me. I wasted a lot of rounds because I started with the scope cold and shot 5 rounds, and went to my target and hadn't touched it. Oops. Started the process all over.

Once I got the gun close to zero, I shot 3 cold, warmed the scope via hairdryer and heater vent of truck for 5 minutes and shot 3 more. None of the groups were very good. I am not sure if it was conditions (windy), the fact my AR really needs a cleaning, or if the scope isn't grouping as well as it did before. However for my test, my POI didn't really change. However, it can be hard to tell when you didn't group very well, but the two groups were pretty close. I am going to scrub my AR really well, and try again down the road. I read on Pulsar Hunting FB page that one guy got his XP38 back with the new firmware and it was actually moving poi worse than when it went in. This stuff is so fruatrating as a consumer. I love many of the features that the Pulsar units have, but theres no way im purchasing one of their units with this many problems across the board. Especially not for the price they are asking. Heck ive had cheap Tasco Scopes with less poi shift as many of Pulsar owners are having and the tasco only cost me $19.95 on clearnece.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456I read on Pulsar Hunting FB page that one guy got his XP38 back with the new firmware and it was actually moving poi worse than when it went in. This stuff is so fruatrating as a consumer. I love many of the features that the Pulsar units have, but theres no way im purchasing one of their units with this many problems across the board. Especially not for the price they are asking. Heck ive had cheap Tasco Scopes with less poi shift as many of Pulsar owners are having and the tasco only cost me $19.95 on clearnece. Let's wait to see what the results are from people after testing vs one FB post.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456I read on Pulsar Hunting FB page that one guy got his XP38 back with the new firmware and it was actually moving poi worse than when it went in. This stuff is so fruatrating as a consumer. I love many of the features that the Pulsar units have, but theres no way im purchasing one of their units with this many problems across the board. Especially not for the price they are asking. Heck ive had cheap Tasco Scopes with less poi shift as many of Pulsar owners are having and the tasco only cost me $19.95 on clearnece. Let's wait to see what the results are from people after testing vs one FB post.
I agree.

Tested mine today... 71 degrees... bright sunny day, shooting position in the shade.

Results...

So long as it keeps this up, I'm happy. Square is 2 1/2"... it had a glow to it so actual precision aiming is difficult but I had the same POA for the most part. Two touching, one just to the left, totally acceptable.

ETA- I fired the three obvious shots, the others were from last time.

Will repeat weekly and report back.

Last edited:
BIG THANKS to TNVC (Vic) and NGI (Tom) as they were in my corner the whole time. Thanks to Robby at Sellmark as well.

Yep, I full admit... I was quite worried, but they all kept saying it would get handled one way or another... well, so far, it certainly has.

Great to hear. Thanks for the update!
thumbup1.gif

Do you have to contact Pulsar/Sellmark to get the firmware update? I do not see it listed on their web site.
Also, would there be any benefit in getting this latest firmware update even if you weren't experiencing any real detectable POI shift?

Gene

Originally Posted By: G AndersonDo you have to contact Pulsar/Sellmark to get the firmware update? I do not see it listed on their web site.
Also, would there be any benefit in getting this latest firmware update even if you weren't experiencing any real detectable POI shift?

Gene
Every new update comes to email.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: G AndersonDo you have to contact Pulsar/Sellmark to get the firmware update? I do not see it listed on their web site.

Gene
Every new update comes to email.
So you contact them and have it emailed to you?

You use the Stream Vision app and it has a screen that checks for the update and downloads to your smartphone. Then you start WiFi on the scope and connect it with your phone. Launch Stream Vision again and it updates firmware.

Originally Posted By: KirschYou use the Stream Vision app and it has a screen that checks for the update and downloads to your smartphone. Then you start WiFi on the scope and connect it with your phone. Launch Stream Vision again and it updates firmware.
I just installed the update on my xp50. I'll sight it in this weekend and see how it does. Hope this fixes it. I've missed a lot of the season this year because of this.

Last edited:
I did a bit more testing today. I had left the range last time and the temp was about 30, kept the gun in the house the whole time, and kept the gun in a heated truck cab to the range, and got everything setup. Took first shot and checked target and POI was very close to before. So, this is good and the temp when shooting this time was around 20 but I shot immediately and didn't let the scope cool. After shooting a few rounds, I let the gun sit outside for about 40 minutes and shot again, and the POI was very consistent. So, overall my impressions are that for my scope the major POI shift issue with temp may be corrected. I don't know if we will get any more sub zero temps, so still plan to stick it in the freezer this summer and test it as it warms up.

Not trying to stir the pot, but here is the kind of the strange thing. I would notice a flyer once in awhile. Not a huge flyer but an inch or so, and think I pulled the shot. I would put another couple in the bullseye and then get a flyer but my flyers were consistent. It is only a guess at this point, but I think what is happening is the NUC adjustments are moving the image slightly which is what is supposed to do. It seems like if I shoot 3 in a row, it is fine. If I NUC it or wait awhile, it is the flyer. Again, this could have been ammo, or my shooting or something. My non-scientific testing has resulted so far in what appears to be a scope that may not group as tightly as before but doesn't have wild swings of POI. I would rather take the slightly spread groups because the flyers were still plenty close enough to kill a coyote. Some people complain they can't get a thermal to group. This was never my problem but I couldn't get the groups to stop shifting with the previous POI issue which is now hopefully fixed. Everyone keep testing and post your results.

I got mine dialed in today after installing the update. It was 40°out. It's shooting 3/4" groups at 100 yds with my Grendel. I'll try to get out and test fire it several times next week at different temps.

I killed three pigs today... ranges from 150-160 to 50-60... seems to be holding. I posted in the Hog Hunting forum if anyone is interested in the videos.

Checked mine after the update and was 5" high. Got it zeroed and will check again. One strange thing happened the night before I did the update is the Stream Vision kept freezing and seem to lag 5 seconds behind what was going on. I would move the rifle and 5 seconds later you would see it on my phone moving. Seems to work ok with the update now.

Last edited:
Back