Answers to Newbie Questions

Chris623

Okay, so just how many and what type calls does the average yote hunter end up with? I know there are calls that mimic the yotes themselves and then there are hurt rabbit calls and raven calls. Oh and then the distressed fawn calls. So what would the average hunter consider a "proper" brace of calls?

A few years ago I used to make enclosed reed, open reed, howlers, fawn, crow, squirrel, and deer grunt calls. I found myself spread way to thin, so I decided to go strictly open reed distress calls now. There were too many types of calls to make, and not enough time to make them. LOL!

I focus on open reeders now, using my Bunny Bomb tone boards, and the occasional enclosed reeder. When I used my last howler board, I quit casting them. No more squeakers after I used my last squeaker reed set.

I cast the Bunny Bomb tone board blanks from a silicone mold that I made myself. The come out of the mold just a hunk of resin, about 75% complete. I finish each board, one at a time, as I make my open reed calls. Each board gets the air channel milled in, the back pressure relief bored, the final arch made on the tone board, and the reed trimmed and tuned.

Each Bunny Bomb board is finished and tuned, one at a time.

Sounds fascinating. Would love to watch you do that. I've been a "maker of things" all my life. Fully familiar with what you describe.

Okay, so you no longer make howlers or squeakers. Any recommendations of other maker's products, or would that be a "no-no" on the forum?

I don't carry a bunch of calls on stand , usually a distress call and a howler is all I have on me. If I plan on getting far from the truck for a few stands I'll carry a couple backups in my pack.

Mark

Chris,

Any of the call makers on this forum are stand up guys, excellent craftsmen, and have been making calls for a long, long, time.

Surf around the site, look up old posts on 'calls for sale', and see who's work you connect with. Get some dialog going with them, and it is 'off to the races'.
thumbup.gif

If you want a howler, checkout Woodson Asher's howlers from Goose Creek Custom Calls. I'm almost certain he's a member here, but I have no idea what his screen name is. I communicate with via Facebook. His howlers sound down right amazing.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'll check into them. Are all squeakers equal, or does one stick out as exceptional?

Originally Posted By: badtotheboneCheck out bearmanric for a howler, they are killer, and I will vouch for them

Thanks for the name drop. I sent a PM. Always looking for more unique calls to pick up!

As for the OP, buying hand calls turns into a collecting hobby.

Thanks guys, I've got links to both of your sites.

Next question: When it comes to squeakers, which is easier to work with while hunting, a mouth or bulb squeaker? I'm talking about when a coyote is responding to your destressed rabbit call, but stops and needs coaxing. I understand that's when a little squeak comes in handy. But if my rifle is up, how can I use a mouth squeaker? Or.....................should I have both??? Gawd this is going to get pricey!!!!!

Yepper. Just little puffs of air into the squeaker. The one I use is about the size of a cigarette filter, and very easy to hang on to.

The 'bulb' types will definitely take up an hand that you need to be free when it's time to close the deal.

Honestly, just kiss with your lips or attach a bulb squeaker to your rifle forend. Youll never have to move at all.
Mark

I stopped by Bass Pro Shops this morning and came across a Predator Quest Ruffidawgcoaxer. Looked it up on AllPredatorCalls.com and watched a video of Les Johnson demonstrating it. Personally, I think injection molded calls are almost sacrilegious because of my love for all things wood, but that little call was extremely versatile. Any thoughts or comments about it? Does anyone on the forum make one (out of wood) that works the same way?

Back