Wood density

Chris623

Question for you call makers: Does denser wood, like Cocobolo or Macasar Ebony make better calls than a less dense wood like Yellow Pine or something in that range?

Chris,

The different density of the woods has an effect on tone. Whether it's better or not depends on what the user prefers. I can't say one is better than the other, only 'different'.

Personally, I prefer the harder woods, not so much for the sound difference, rather for durability. Softer woods tend to get beat up with use.

My personal rule of thumb is: if I can cut a line into the wood with a fingernail, then it is too soft for me to use for calls.

Hope this didn't muddle things up too much....... LOL!

Rudy

Nope, Rudy, that's good enough for me. Wood was my life for so many years, I know exactly what you mean. But I kind of figured the denser woods would resist the vibrations of the reed and produce a louder call. Just my way of thinkin'.

Think of it this way Chris, Soft woods have large air cells, and Harder woods like Ebony the air cells are small Soft woods eat up sound much like if you were to yell in a closet full of clothes, or a tile
shower room. There is a reason they make instruments from quality hard wood.

Back