Piston Upper

mully

Looking for suggestions on a piston upper. 223 Wylde chamber, thinking 18". It will be shot suppressed. I have not found a lot of info on piston guns.

Seems to me like a good idea to keep the action cleaner but I have no real word experience with one. I liked Adams Arms adjustable gas block that could be easily switched from suppressed to non-suppressed. I would think the same type setup could be put on a DI action.

ARs are not "Direct Impingement". They are more correctly called "Direct Gas". ARs have a piston in the carrier. The Adams Arms system has a reputation as being not reliable enough.

If you want to switch between suppressed and unsuppressed, get the SLR adjustable gas block. However, after shooting suppressed a few times you'll find that you're shooting suppressed all the time.

If you use a carbine receiver extension, use an H2 buffer and a Sprinco blue spring.

If you use a rifle receiver extension, use a rifle buffer and a Sprinco green spring.

If you use an A5 receiver extension, use the A5H2 buffer and Sprinco green spring.

I run superlative arms piston kit they are money well spent.There piston kit comes with the most awesome adjustable gas block I have ever used.The piston system is maintanace free your bolt carrier never gets dirty.Check out some of the videos on u tube of there product and how they work.There gas block not only reduces wear and tear on your brass but you can tune a lot of recoil out as well

I and two (2) friends have gas piston AR's - mine was made by Adam's Arms and it has never had any sort of problem and with the right ammunition, guided by a rifleman, it shoots right at 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards rested and scoped.

I highly recommend the gas piston AR but I have never shot suppressed, so I can't speak to that portion. For reliability, dependability and keeping the action clean - the gas piston AR is as good as it gets. The DI AR's are just as good, but no where as "clean". Your money, your choice.

Thanks for the info guys. I have heard a piston gun really helps keep the gas from blowing back in your face while suppressed? That is one of the main reasons I am looking at them, the other is a cleaner action.

I just ran a bead of silicone on the charging handle and get next to no gas in my face running suppressed with a non piston/DI.

It's mega filthy though. Carbon cruds the crap out of everything. Unfired rounds in the magazine look like they been laying on the ground for 40 years. Going through a lot of C4 since I started running a suppressed AR.

- DAA

i agree with DAA - the crud can be rough. i find myself cleaning a LOT More often now that i shoot suppressed. My ultrasonic gets a good workout for the small parts - especially the BCG's - and i've considered saving up for a hornady hot tub for the ability to drop a whole lower or upper into one to make deep cleaning days easier.

Been running a couple of suppressed uppers. They do get dirtier, but I just wipe them down now and again and keep them oiled. Very reliable.

one thing i would like to point out on a piston vs a DI upper - all that crud that those of us who are cleaning out of our lowers in a DI gun doesnt magically go away - it just gets deposited underneath your handguard.

just something to be aware of.

If you get time drill 2 vent holes (.100dia)in your charging handle. You need a drill press and a vice.
One coming in half way from the right side, the one inside at 45degree angle.
Any over pressure I get go out the right side.
There is a Company who sells charging handles that have the vent holes.

Charging Handle

They are not cheap

Back