hornady vs S&B 6.8 brass??

steve garrett

I am getting ready to order up some brass for a 6DTI I am going to commission soon. I would like to be able to stick with one brand of brass, I also anticipate losing about 1/3 of my cases in the field. Some say S&B brass is the best, but its going to be about 30% more expensive than I can get hornady for. so for me long brass life isn't a huge deal, I don't think any of these cases are going to see over 4 loadings. More important to me is being able to get the brass for a long period of time and speed performance.

S&B is what I just bought to use for my 6x6.8 since I'm using SSA for my 6.8. That'll make keeping the 2 calibers separate a little easier.
CavityBack Bullets sells primed S&B for a fair price plus, the primers aren't crimped. $109 per 250 or $212.50 per 500

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGHow does the S&B stuff compare to Federal?

Cavity back bullets have a good description of them on their page. I have 100 pieces and it can take the pressure that my Starline, Hornady and SSA can't handle on the first loading. Plus a higher case capacity.

The SB brass I got has held up much better than any other I have tried. I'm on 5 firings on 10 test cases
and the primer pockets are still tight. The others lasted 3. So far so good.
MasterBlaster

S&B is the best I have used so far. Bought 500 S&B from cavity back and I am very happy with it and impressed with quality. I just threw out about 1000 federal, hornady, nosler and SSA due to primer pockets.

What kind of primers are they using? Has anybody weight a group of cases would you say they are as consistent as Lapua?

I'll say this, the S&B brass from CBB appears to have lower case capacity than some initially. I do not get into filling cases and testing what they hold with water etc. but I know my SSA brass would hold 31.5 grains of 8208 with no problem and my S&B primed stuff from CBB is pretty full at 30.4. I think the S&B brass is high quality from what I see so far, but I haven't loaded and checked them after the first firing yet. If you lose a lot of brass, I'm not sure you want to buy S&B stuff. If you can be ok with losing some and still having good quality brass for reloading, I'd go S&B. I still have a lot of testing to do...

Back