22-243AI fire forming cases

Lorne

don't know much about this cartridge yet my question is can you start load development before the case is fired formed??? or should you just fired form your cases and then start your development after all cases are fire formed??? any help would be great

You can't really develop an AI load without the cases fireformed. However, you can develop a good 243 Win load and shoot it for a while, thereby fireforming cases along the way.

And to add to what pahntr760 said, you should be able to develop a fireforming load that shoots nearly, if not, as well as the loads you end up with after your cases are formed. I have many "improved" chamberings and they all shoot just as well with fireforming loads as they do with fully formed cases, just a little slower in velocity is all.

Originally Posted By: B23I have many "improved" chamberings and they all shoot just as well with fireforming loads as they do with fully formed cases, just a little slower in velocity is all.

Same here.
There’s no reason to just shoot up expensive components just to make AI brass.
Forming loads were super accurate for me.

I fire formed with 15g of bullseye, filled case with cream of wheat, then piece of paper towel. I ran a patch full of Kro oil down the barrel every 20 shots, made the barrel much easier to clean afterwards.

Easy does it on the load dev. as barrel life is 700-900 rounds on this case, DEPENDING on how fast you fire.

Originally Posted By: B23I have many "improved" chamberings and they all shoot just as well with fireforming loads as they do with fully formed cases, just a little slower in velocity is all.

Found that to be true with the Tac20 as well. Accuracy is outstanding,
and the 4,000 vs. 4,100fps didn't seem to matter to a coyote, several
crows and many, many marauding coons. It surely would be worth a try
in the .22-.243AI! I found other methods to be a waste of time and
money.

Back