New .22-250 load for prairie dogs

Acronin

I need some suggestions on which of the following you’d recommend for a very accurate (less than 1 MOA @100 yds) for my 1:14 twist CZ550 Varmint Kevlar .22-250.

50gr Vmax
50gr SBK
52gr Speer Varminters
52gr ELD-M
45gr Sierra Spitz
50gr DogTown HP’s

I’ve been shooting 52gr SMKs but there isn’t much of a splat factor on Pdogs. I don’t want ricochets.

Thanks.

I don’t use a 22-250 for prairie dogs but have had great success with the Vmax bullets in both 20 and 22 caliber. 50 grainers from a 223 produce significant “splat” on prairie dogs. Can’t imagine they wouldn’t do the same out of a 22-250.

50 Sierra Blitz Kings have been very accurate. I would say the Speer TNTs or Hornady 40 Grain V-Max might give you the splat factor. I gave our Indian Guide a box of 40 VMax 223 I had been using because he hadn't seen the dogs blow up like that and wanted to know what I was using.

My 22-250 prairie dog and coyote bullet has normally been 55 Nosler BTs.

I have never shot a prairie dog but my daughter shot a full water bottle at 200yds with a 50gr Hornady Zmax over a max load of CFE223 in 22-250 the other day. It was impressive. On paper it shot less than 1".

My favorite bullet for prairie dogs in 22-250 is the 55 Vmax. I have tried many bullets and always go back to the Vmax. Speer TNT, Sierra BK, Nosler BT, even lead tip bullets all get the job done quite nicely when you hit them in the belly.

When using my .22/250 I have done over 90% of my prairie dog shooting with either the 50 grain or 55 grain Nosler Blitzkings. DRT when they are hit. Many in spectacular fashion.

I tried HPBT match bullets once but too many of them were able to crawl off after the hit. Never again.

Originally Posted By: RustydustWhen using my .22/250 I have done over 90% of my prairie dog shooting with either the 50 grain or 55 grain Nosler Blitzkings. DRT when they are hit. Many in spectacular fashion.

I tried HPBT match bullets once but too many of them were able to crawl off after the hit. Never again.

Nosler Ballistic Tips or Sierra Blitz Kings?

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: RustydustWhen using my .22/250 I have done over 90% of my prairie dog shooting with either the 50 grain or 55 grain Nosler Blitzkings. DRT when they are hit. Many in spectacular fashion.

Nosler Ballistic Tips or Sierra Blitz Kings?

Ah! Good catch! I meant to say Nosler Vmax.

Just kidding. Nosler Ballistic Tips. I used to get them for $100 a thousand. Sure made a lot of kills with those.

I used to shoot a lot of 40gr ballistic tips in my 223 and I'm not sure if it was the extra velocity they were clipping along at or what but they always made much larger messier holes in coyotes than just about any other bullet I've used.

If I was looking for carnage and wanting things to have the highest splat factor I could get out of a 22-250 with a 14 twist, I'd bet those little 40 grain Nosler BT's humping along at 4000+fps would turn PD's inside out. You'd be giving up a little BC to the heavier bullets but they sure ought to have a he11 of a splat factor.
thumbup.gif

I appreciate the input fellas. I think I’ll try the 50gr SBK’s and some H380 to start off with, but H4895 my be my next powder if the H380 doesn’t group.

I’d love for the 52 Speers to shoot so I’ll try them too. Way cheaper @ 8.99/100.

The H380 is a great powder for the 22/250. It might be a little temp sensitive. I have used it in several 22/250's with great accuracy. 50 -55 gr. Nosler B.T. Speer 52 gr HP has shot good in about everything I've shot it out of. Never shot a coyote with the SBK's but have other varmints and the splatter factor has been great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AcroninI need some suggestions on which of the following you’d recommend for a very accurate (less than 1 MOA @100 yds) for my 1:14 twist CZ550 Varmint Kevlar .22-250.

50gr Vmax
50gr SBK
52gr Speer Varminters
52gr ELD-M
45gr Sierra Spitz
50gr DogTown HP’s

I’ve been shooting 52gr SMKs but there isn’t much of a splat factor on Pdogs. I don’t want ricochets.

Thanks.

The 53gr V-Max simply cheats wind drift better than all the bullets mentioned and flings plenty of "goo" in the process.
Wind typically blows in a dog town, so....... Hard to fling "PD goo" if you make it harder to hit the source of the "goo" in the first place........

PLOTBOSS

Originally Posted By: PLOTBOSSOriginally Posted By: AcroninI need some suggestions on which of the following you’d recommend for a very accurate (less than 1 MOA @100 yds) for my 1:14 twist CZ550 Varmint Kevlar .22-250.

50gr Vmax
50gr SBK
52gr Speer Varminters
52gr ELD-M
45gr Sierra Spitz
50gr DogTown HP’s

Thanks.

The 53gr V-Max simply cheats wind drift better than all the bullets mentioned and flings plenty of "goo" in the process.
Wind typically blows in a dog town, so....... Hard to fling "PD goo" if you make it harder to hit the source of the "goo" in the first place........

PLOTBOSS

Mine doesn’t like the 53gr Vmax. It’s too long for 1:14

I've had good luck accuracy wise with the 40 gr vmax. I started seeing splashes on coyotes with those though. Should be no issues on prairie dogs, in fact, I would expect quite a mist. I switched to the 45 gr Sierra Spitzer for coyotes and I am really liking those. Accurate and 6 coyotes so far DRT. The Spitzer is running right at 3800 fps.

I loaded two bullets with H380 to see how’d they work.

52grSpeer HP just because it’s $8/100

And 50grBlitzkings.

If these dontshoot well, then I’ll switch powders with the Blitzkings and try 50 Vmaxs as well.

Thanks for all the help fellas.

Back