Savage 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP vs Howa 1500

Silver Belly62

Looking for some advice on these two model rifles for anyone that is currently using one for a possible upcoming purchase in 223 caliber, which would be my first rifle in that caliber. I have had three other Savage rifles in different models(two accutrigger & one non) over the years in other calibers with no issues but recently I came across a used Howa 1500 in 270 with the Hogue overmolded stock which I really liked. Checked their site and you can get it in 223 or 22-250 also, but I have no experience with Howa rifles and knowing their quality etc. Any info/opinions from guy's that currently hunt with either of these models would be appreciated, thanks

Last edited:
I like my 11 trophy hunter, took off the cheap coin slotted Nikon and put a Leupold in Talley’s back on it. I would probably bought the 10 instead, but it wasn’t in stock at the time of purchase. If your wanting the 10 trophy hunter, nows the time because I’m not seeing it listed on the Savage website anymore.

i think the quality on the howa is better than Savage, just work the bolt on both you'll see...Weatherby would be another good choice.

Originally Posted By: greengt88i think the quality on the howa is better than Savage, just work the bolt on both you'll see...Weatherby would be another good choice.
The used 270 I came across was smooth, I will give it that. Similar to the Savage American Classic 14/114 rifles I've had. Usually I have problems with the LOP on most synthetic stocks, and have to go with wood, but that one on the Howa wasn't that bad and was longer than a lot of others. I also liked that textured feel of the Hogue over mold. Looked at the Weatherby rifles, and liked them, but I have to have a straight comb stock

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: McGrawI like my 11 trophy hunter, took off the cheap coin slotted Nikon and put a Leupold in Talley’s back on it. I would probably bought the 10 instead, but it wasn’t in stock at the time of purchase. If your wanting the 10 trophy hunter, nows the time because I’m not seeing it listed on the Savage website anymore.
Ok thanks, dont think were looking at the same rifle. Just checked and that 10/110 package series w/wood stock is still listed

Silver Belly, same rifle. Sorry they didn’t have it up last time I looked or I just missed it, Your sure right it’s there now. Noticed they did away with .223 in 11Hog Hunter, just .308 now.

I have a model 11 trophy hunter in 6.5 creedmoor. Does what I need it to do. Half inch groups at 200 with reloads shooting h4350 and 143 eld-x. Put a 4-16 vortex hs-t. Hoping to test it out at some distance soon!

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaHave 3 Howa's and would buy another if I wanted another rifle. Rudy

No kidding... that nice huh.

I've been debating between the savage 11/111 lightweight vs the howa alpine mountain for awhile now.

I have had both, Savages and Howa's. Have a Howa and a Weatherby Vanguard now, basically the same rifle with different names. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. Howa's have a pretty good reputation as being pretty accurate rifles as well as Savage.

Ok thanks for the replies everyone. Think I'm going to give the Howa 1500 a try since I've never had one of them. After checking prices around here on them I can get one between $460-500. Appreciate the help

Back