Why only 5 million?

Back in the day when we kicked the king's rear and gained our freedom exactly four percent of the population actually armed and fought. The rest either thought it was a wonderful idea as long a someone else does it for them or were content to keep kissing rear. It has not changed much today infarct its probably a lot worse as the fake news media and internet makes it almost impossible to know the truth. The NRA tells it pretty much the way it is. Yes I get tired of the give me money dings, but that's the way its played in Washington and politicians do not come cheep when you are fighting Billion dollar people buying their idea of utopia. Living in the peoples cesspool republic of northern Calf. (Washington State) I can tell you the only way to change this is if they own a gun and not a NRA membership then they need to be called out in public. Tell them we are tired of caring the load for freeloaders.

Iron Mike

I appreciate all new members. And all indications are that these attacks are in fact driving a LOT of people to look into membership. I think the other orgs are likely picking up more support as well.

this can only be a good thing.

Iron Mike, I agree 100 % My gun club requires NRA membership, as does several others I know of, and in my my small circle we make no bones about it. Its time to get real.

My gun club also requires NRA membership. My club has had such a list of people wanting to join each year, we've had to cap our waiting list to 75. Even then it could take 2 or 3 years to get in, but the list never goes down. I don't always agree with the NRA, but they are the largest, most powerful, and vocal gun rights lobby we have. That's who I want defending my gun rights. Given all that's going on, I just upped my NRA membership to Life Patron. Good deal for $300.

NRA (life member) claims 5+ million and is the 1800 lb gorilla. We're the ones that get slandered, demonized, accused & named in the news.

NAGR (not a member) as a relative newcomer claims 4.5 million. No idea if it's true. They also claim a lot of credit when something gets blocked, but I've only ever seen them mentioned in a news report maybe twice over the years. How effective they actually are I have no idea. I do know that they put the NRA to shame when it comes to begging for money.

GOA (on again off again annual member, I tend to lose track) claims 1.5 million and is the no holds barred defender of the 2nd amendment. They're what uninformed people thing the NRA is on the issues.

So far as I know now, every other group is smaller at this time. Does not mean that I think gunnies should not support any of them, just stating what I know about their relative sizes.

Every concerned gun owner should be a member of the NRA!
First and foremost!
Beyond that, any other gun rights organizations is secondary.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishGOA (on again off again annual member, I tend to lose track) claims 1.5 million and is the no holds barred defender of the 2nd amendment. They're what uninformed people thing the NRA is on the issues.

So far as I know now, every other group is smaller at this time. Does not mean that I think gunnies should not support any of them, just stating what I know about their relative sizes.

The NRA is THE big fish in the fight to protect the 2nd amendment, because of it's membership. It is not nearly as big a fish in overall money paid to campaigns as the news would have people believe.

The various industry lobbies I bet would dwarf the NRA in money spent.

Also, just because some people aren't a member of the NRA doesn't mean they don't try to help defend the 2nd amendment. I wrote Senators and Reps more than once or twice about gun rights and laws prior to joining the NRA.

Originally Posted By: CountryWildcatThe NRA is THE big fish in the fight to protect the 2nd amendment, because of it's membership. It is not nearly as big a fish in overall money paid to campaigns as the news would have people believe.

The various industry lobbies I bet would dwarf the NRA in money spent.

Also, just because some people aren't a member of the NRA doesn't mean they don't try to help defend the 2nd amendment. I wrote Senators and Reps more than once or twice about gun rights and laws prior to joining the NRA.

Maybe, but if you are not a member, you are not contributing dollars to the lobbying efforts or any other efforts. It is not the same thing to say "I do what I can" but to not put anything behind it. That is the problem, gun owners think that NOT being an NRA member makes no difference. It does.

And I think what some people miss about the NRA membership, it's not just about the money. Being a member counts as a vote, and political parties look at numbers. NRA uses this PowerPoint to guard against our protection as well

Originally Posted By: thegoodlifeAnd I think what some people miss about the NRA membership, it's not just about the money. Being a member counts as a vote, and political parties look at numbers. NRA uses this PowerPoint to guard against our protection as well

Too many members let the NRA do the lobbying for them. If the 5 million voters would get out and make phone calls and write letters, the NRA lobbying would be more effective.

Originally Posted By: dogcatcherOriginally Posted By: thegoodlifeAnd I think what some people miss about the NRA membership, it's not just about the money. Being a member counts as a vote, and political parties look at numbers. NRA uses this PowerPoint to guard against our protection as well

Too many members let the NRA do the lobbying for them. If the 5 million voters would get out and make phone calls and write letters, the NRA lobbying would be more effective.

And the NRA & GOA make it so easy by providing form letters that can be edited, re-written or sent as is to the proper representatives by simply clicking on a button.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: 6724Originally Posted By: CountryWildcatAlso, just because some people aren't a member of the NRA doesn't mean they don't try to help defend the 2nd amendment. I wrote Senators and Reps more than once or twice about gun rights and laws prior to joining the NRA.

Maybe, but if you are not a member, you are not contributing dollars to the lobbying efforts or any other efforts. It is not the same thing to say "I do what I can" but to not put anything behind it. That is the problem, gun owners think that NOT being an NRA member makes no difference. It does.
Strength in numbers!

The main reason for me is that I'm simply not at a point where I can afford to spend money on a NRA membership. I would much rather spend my money on the Gun Owners of America. They are a no compromise organization. The NRA has had a hand in nearly every major gun control legislation. Most recently they said that they would OK a ban on bump stocks and so called "Rate increasing devices" It's harder to support an organization that doesn't fully support the 2nd A.

There are many admirable organizations that fight to preserve the 2nd Amendment, however, you only hear of one from the liberals and mainstream media. It's the one they fear and hate the most. It's the one that has the most members, which transcends into the most political clout, the NRA!

The NRA is:

1) The oldest pro-gun organization in America, founded in 1871.

2) The largest pro-gun organization in America with more members than any other pro-gun organization.

3) The most effective and powerful pro-gun lobby in America. Considered by members of Congress to be among the top 3 most influential lobby's in Washington D.C..

Back