It's Been a While

hm1996

Staff member
Yes, it's been a while, but I recently managed to get out for a few half day hunts and was blessed in that I managed to replenish my completely empty freezer with two nilgai cows; one each on two separate mornings. Very unusual to get lucky enough to get in range on such a short hunt. Both shots were a bit farther than I prefer, but managed to make it work.

26941689748_a7b53f2fec_c.jpg

26941690528_2e9fb46fdd_c.jpg

We managed to get in one coyote stand after each nilgai hunt that only resulted in one coyote called in from over 300 yards. He came in HOT, straight to the call, which was about 40 yards out. Silenced call, then barked repeatedly but couldn’t stop him for my partner. It has been a long time since we’ve been out, and it was his turn to shoot, so when the coyote reached the call/decoy, circled it once, only 5-6’ from the call, then stopped broadside......he missed! Whaaaat? He did! Then it got worse. We BOTH missed the followup running shots; that’s right I said shotS. I got off three and he managed two running; add 'em up, thats SIX misses. Couple of times we got real close, in fact he stumbled once and I thought sure he was hit, but no cigar. Talk about educated; our only excuse was that we were both carrying our big guns (his 308 Norma and my 338 WM) with which we are not as intimately familiar as our lighter predator rifles. (Gotta have an excuse, ya know.)

This stoked the fire & convinced me to try to work in an occasional coyote hunt. The nearest ranch I can hunt is only an hour away. I can leave home @ 0400, get to ranch, switch to jeep and be on first stand at first light, yet be able to get home in an hour if need be.

As you know, game just doesn’t move every day, so half day hunts are never as successful as my old, proven MO of hunting two or three consecutive days, but, Hey, beats heck out of the couch!

We made a couple more trips and did manage to fool what I believe to be that educated coyote enough that he peeked over that same hill behind which he had disappeared the last time, but that was it. Try as I might, he refused to come over the hill for a shot this day.

Fast forward to yesterday. Landowner told me where he had seen two large coyotes so I promised to check it out. We missed first light by about 15 minutes but headed for the area suggested by the rancher for our first stand.

Please bear with me while I digress a bit. I’ve been using a decoy on just about every stand for a lot of years. Have had lots of Cara Cara, hawks, falcons and owls swoop down for a closer look, and many more land in nearby trees to watch for a spell. Even had a javelina grab the topper once, only to spit it out as I was trying to get my rifle on him, but have never had a bird actually steal the topper…... until yesterday……three different birds on three different stands!

For this first stand, we set up call and decoy about 30 yards into a rollerchop area. About 15 minutes in, this owl swooped in and hit the topper hard enough that I heard it. I had been looking off to one side, but managed to turn in time to watch him flying straight away, landing facing away and proceeded to try to eat the Foxpro Jack Daddy topper. He finally gave up on the (very tough) meal and walked over to inspect the call and decoy more closely.

26941537938_9b6be76897_c.jpg

39001182650_f104a2e663_c.jpg

26941534668_e866d8feae_c.jpg

I finally tired of watching his antics and walked out to recover my unharmed topper, which he reluctantly abandoned when I got within 30 ft.

We moved on the stand 2. A few minutes into the stand, the decoy fell over but continued to run. That's when owl #2 swooped in and carried the topper off to a tree about 30 yards away. He immediately started to try to devour his prize, so I got up and he flew off as I approached and disappeared around a corner of brush, carrying my topper with him.

My partner took off to see if he could locate the bird while I went back to retrieve my jeep. When Don had rounded the corner of brush, he spotted the owl sitting on the dead limb on the left of this lone tree. The owl abandoned the topper which was about 10' above the ground. Luckily, Don was able to knock it off the limb with a dead branch.

40769276782_15cdd4ed2c_c.jpg

While I was loading our gear on the jeep, I looked up and saw Don returning with the wayward topper, this time just a bit worse for the wear but still useable.

26941528338_f9e73dcaca_c.jpg

On stand three, a third owl landed on a nearby fence post to ogle the decoy, but declined to attack it, to my relief.

25939813217_fb81e57df4_c.jpg

Stand four, I decided to try a different approach in hopes of confusing the coyote to whom we had given the PHD several weeks prior. The plan was to approach the area from the back side and call from the east, instead of the west in order to view the back side of the hill he had used so effectively twice as a shield.

Started out with Female invitational, paused a few and switched to female whimpers. Around 10 minutes in tried some bird distress when Don spotted a coyote watching our direction (indicated by white star) from the edge of a brush line @ 560 yards. It was only 75 yards from our previous hides in our encounter a few weeks ago.

Try as I might, it was not committing; showed a real interest in the call, but kept looking back into the brush. I thought it had a mate it was waiting for, but then a doe stepped out about 20’ away, facing the coyote and obviously not happy. Finally, the doe disappeared into the brush and shortly thereafter the coyote disappeared, only to reappear, looking our way again!

In desperation I switched to coyote pup distress and that sealed the deal. She took off at the gallop, cutting the corner of the open laguna bed before disappearing behind that “dreaded hill”.

39001181370_9cc01af282_c.jpg

I told Don to take the shot if presented because I had a bush that might get in my way, depending of the angle of approach.

It seemed like an eternity before she reappeared, still trotting, down the brush line while looking toward the call/decoy.

She was 102 yards away when she stopped for one last look. Don was about to bark as he feared she was approaching the scent cone of the decoy when she stopped. I think she caught a small whiff is what prompted her to stop on her own.

39917195605_a52b5304cf_c.jpg

Don redeemed himself, his shot found the mark and the dry female was DRT; a much smaller coyote than the PHD, so we’ll be back!

39001180220_3abecd7792_c.jpg

25939818107_8c5891c483_c.jpg

On to stand five. Almost immediately upon starting the call, the birds showed up. Cara Cara and Harris Hawks. One pair landed in the tree right above the decoy, watched a long time before departing. A few minutes later, another Harris swooped in and the topper disappeared one more time!

39916551425_8ae3f03c8b_c.jpg

This time the hawk had merely knocked the topper out and it was lying right next to the decoy.

Not sure what motivated all the interest in the decoy all at once, but made for a very interesting, albeit different day afield. I am now looking forward to next trip, as usual, but with the additional hope that one or more of these birds comes back for a repeat performance:

I can just visualize the aerobatics one such low flying clown would perform when he hits the end of the 3’ slack in this nylon tether to be held by the decoy’s spike. Hope I’m looking in the right direction if and when it happens.

40769274832_110c0e7e45_c.jpg

Regards,
hm

1689.gif

Thanks, all.

Originally Posted By: atdLooks like some fun outgoings! Congrats on the fresh meat as well. Any details on the two cows?

The cows were not anything special, but nilgai are very good vittles and these should be real tender.
smile.gif
I believe both these cows to be 1.5-2 yrs. old, maybe 275-300# or so; have not filled out as much as a three or four year old that can reach 450#.

The picture below was a mature cow before the drought. Heavy enough to bend schedule 80 1 1/4" pipe. Have since revised my boom so it is vertical rather than the original 45* angle.
smile.gif

35742707883_1b84137a36_c.jpg

A severe drought began in 2012 and lasted pretty well into 2015, resulting in the loss of a lot of wildlife, both native and exotics. Hit the nilgai herd so hard that no cows were harvested until 2017 on a limited basis.

Fortunately they recover pretty quickly as cows usually deliver twins and sometimes triplets. The population has really increased this year based on sightings during my limited hunts.

Shot these with my pet Savage, 338 Win mag, 210 gr. NP @ 2970 fps.

Regards,
hm

I was down in your part of the country a couple of weeks ago. Sure is green. I drove in rain from Gainesville to Kingsville. All the creeks were running and standing water. Good story and pics as always.

My 338wm likes those 210s as well. That was a bad drought. Saw some pictures of reservoirs in central Texas that I'm familiar with, pretty scary. Glad your game has recovered.

It is good to see you getting back out, hopefully Margaret is doing well. We are still in a drought, we did not even get one day of snow to hunt in this year. Climates have always been changing since the creation of earth, im beginning to wonder if this is the new norm for my area. I'm going to keep pressure on the coyotes around here in hopes of saving a whitetail fawn or few.

You must have a meat locker to be able to store two of those things. Do those cows taste better than whitetail deer? I always put my venison in ice chest and let the ice melt and flush out the bloody water a few times, it helps getting a lot of the gamey taste out of the meat.

Weather's been strange down here this year as well. We actually had one snowfall this year but it melted when it hit the ground. That's the second one I've seen in my lifetime down here, though.
lol.gif
We have had a little rain, but it's still dry.

Actually, I do have a pretty large freezer and it was completely empty so don't think I'll have any trouble fitting them in. Have them cut into boneless steakes and hamburger so pretty compact.

Nilgai has no wild taste whatsoever. Taste like very lean beef. About the only thing I've had that was any better is eland. Margaret says Gemsbok is better, but I can't tell that much difference. She claims the nilgai has a little different smell when cooking; I can't detect that, but worked 20 years in an acid plant, so I'll have to take her word for the smell.
smile.gif

Soaking in ice chest does help venison a lot. I've also soaked venison steaks in milk overnight which also helps a lot.

Margaret's doing a bit better lately, thanks for asking, Jeremy.

Regards,
Clarence

Missed your post, Flint. If you made it down to Kingsville ya shoulda hollered. I know a couple of really good Mexican restaurants close by.
smile.gif

They had a LOT of rain from Kingsville north during Harvey in late August so things really greened up and lots of water holes that had been dry filled up.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: flintrockAte some really good Mexican in a small restaurant in Harlingen, and of course had to have a Whataburger while in Texas.

You were only 25 minutes from here. Have three favorites in Harlingen, Las Vegas Restaurant, La Playa and Pepes. Edinburg has a great one, as well, Los Comales.....did I say I love Mexican food?
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Never heard of soaking meat in milk, thought milk goes bad pretty fast. You and Margaret are still in my prayers;)

I use the milk as I would a marinade when the venison has not been soaked in the ice chest. Just put a steak in a shallow dish and cover w/milk; let sit overnight in the refrigerator. Next day there will be lots of blood clots in the milk.

Thanks for your prayers, Jeremy; they are appreciated.

Regards,
Clarence

Back