Rock River LAR-8M .243 Reviews?

1toppy

Any body have any reviews on this particular firearm? I'm looking for an ar with some knockdown power on coyotes. Im not a big fan of runners and I'm not really concerned about pelt damage. Thanks for any info you can throw my way.

Last edited:
I don't have any first-hand knowledge of reliability and accuracy, but at 9.5 lb without any accessories.. you'll certainly get a good workout walking around.

I know this isn't what you asked but there are lots of Ar 15 options these days in 6mm and hotter 22's. I have no AR 10 experience but going to 22 Nosler took care of my "runner issue". The 6x6.8 or 6 DTI will eliminate that problem as well. Lighter and cheaper to build. I am done with .223 for coyotes as.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1toppy@ varminter...My I ask what length barrel and what bullet are you using for your 22 nosler?
It is a 22" WOA 12 twist varmint contour. It really likes 55 Nosler bt's. We have probably killed 40 some coyotes with this load since Nov. 10th and I think we lost 1. He laid there while I killed 2 others and I had all kinds of time to follow up on him but he ran off so I have no clue what happened but other than that even on guts shots they have all been easy to recover. I think another thing that has helped was moving shot placement more forward into shoulder. No worries about splash with a Nosler bt.

I aldo have a std. contour 8 twist 22" BHW 22 Nosler. It will shoot 53 v max as fast and as well as my WOA but I have not tried it out on live critters yet. I am not sure if the 53 vmax will work as well as the bt's. I need to work on my bt's load more but I couldn't get them to group to my liking. The 53s are lights out for accuracy.

My loads with cfe223 and the factory 55s from Nosler are right around 3500 fps.

Last edited:
1toppy I'm assuming you don't reload? If you do there's tons of great options in ar15's. The one that most closely matches your original request would be a 243 Wssm from Dtech. I have one, and it's a hammer. I also have a couple 6mm wildcats based on the 6.5 Grendel case. They are slightly smaller hammers, about 300 fps slower than the wssm but use 2/3 the powder.

If you don't reload, there's still good options and as mentioned the 22 Nosler would be good, along with 6.8 spc and 6.5 Grendel which aren't as flat out to 300 yds as the others.

If I didn't reload I would be looking really hard at this: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/751942218

I would call and see if they really have one as I didn't even know those were out. But the G2 is way lighter than the older style ar10 sized weapons. More like an ar15.

Thanks for the info 204 AR! No I don't reload. I rely on factory loads. I've narrowed it down to the 22 nosler or the dpms .243 you just mentioned. I'm going to give grab a gun a call in the morning and ask them some questions. I've never heard of them before and some of their reviews are kinda sketchy. Have you are anyone you know dealt with them?

No I haven't, and have no idea of their reputation either way. I will be really interested in how it works out if you get that rifle.

1toppy I PM d you.
I have one and it is an excellent gun. I reload Cutting Edge 77 gr MTH over H4350 at 3000 fps. And have shot 25 to 955 yards.
Heavy. ..yes. My yote night hunting setup weights in at 19# with bipod and light lol. You forgot all about the weight when you get behind and shoot it though.

Back