The Chronicles of a Novice: A First

Dirt Medic

After experiencing the malfunctions that I did, I naturally was even more anxious to get out and find some critters. I contacted a friend of mine that has been hunting predators for quite some time. I asked if he would take me out and teach me a thing or two.
He mentioned that he was already taking out a new hunter the day I planned, but said I could tag along.

I was pretty excited to get out again, and see if there was anything I could do to improve my hunting. I knew that I was doing something right because I was hearing and seeing animals (Also, everyone here helped confirm that, thank you!).
So we set out to the spot he wanted to give a shot.

During our drive, we talked about what I had been doing, what I might have been able to do different, and what we were going to do today. We also talked about how having 3 guys on a stand would help our coverage.

Our third guy ran a shotgun, while my buddy and I ran rifles. He explained to us how we were going to set up each stand and what to look for in the country we were hunting. I tried my best to compare what he was saying to my own thought process, so naturally my brain was already overloading (in a good way).

We set up the first couple stands and had nothing to show for it. It was still early, but we had limited time with our third man, so we tried what we could. Our third stand, however, changed the pace for the day. With the call screaming away, we called in a pair of coyotes. Now I understand what they mean when they say "late season coyotes are smart." This pair hung out a couple hundred yards and traveled along a brush line. They were hidden enough for us to not have a clean shot, but visible enough that we could see them moving.

We finished the stand and made our way to the 4th and final with our third man. It was a good wash with high walls. We saw a ton of tracks, scat, and signs of a variety of animals, so my hopes were high. We set up the call, got in our spots, and began the stand. I began to think, "If I were an animal to come into this spot, I feel like I would come in this direction." I think it was a little bit of luck, and some logical guessing, but I ended up being right.

Call it what you will, but a thought before then had crossed my mind. This particular third man, that my buddy brought along, had never been out hunting. So as I thought about "IF" a critter crossed my path, I also thought about letting it get into a close range for the new hunter to have a shot. I set myself up in place so if he happened to miss, I could still take a shot at whatever I saw.

About 5 minutes into the call, heading down the direction I guessed, I spotted some ears heading toward me. As he got closer, I was able to see that is was a gray fox heading in for the call. I started to wonder if he would pass by me and continue to the call. I was about 2-3' off the ground on a rock ledge, overlooking the wash we were hunting. Sure enough, the fox crossed right underneath me. I laughed a little inside and got even more excited for the new hunter to see an animal come in for the first time. I set up, just in case, for a shot towards the call.

Unfortunately, the new hunter got a little trigger shy and watched the fox run off. My buddy managed to get a shot off on the fox as he went the opposite direction he came in. We talked with the new hunter, showed him the fox, and he learned a thing or two. I didn't get to actually shoot the fox, but enjoyed the experience. For our new hunter, this was the last stand he could do for the day, so we packed up and headed back into town.

After the third guy left, my buddy mentioned to me that he has been looking at a spot that has some potential that wasn't too far from where we were. After seeing multiple animals and, as a group, managing to harvest one, I was in for more!
We drove up to the spot, and began our hike up a rocky hillside.

We scoped out where they may come in, and kept the wind in mind. He allowed me to apply what I learned from the day to try and set up the stand. Not seeing any faults, he agreed and we set up and began.

Again, about 5 minutes in, I hear his rifle go off. All I could think was how I set myself up in the wrong area. I shook it off, and continued to eye the hill side to look for any movement. Another couple minutes go by, then the fun began. I see a pair of ears coming my way once more. Another gray fox! I couldn't get a clean shot and knew he was heading to the call. I tried to signal my buddy to let him know (without being too loud for the fox to notice) but was unsuccessful. I thought, "There it was, that was my chance for my first predator kill." I swear it was seconds after I thought that to myself when I saw another fox come in. This one was close. I waited until it got behind a tree to move my rifle into place, and began to pace the fox. Then it gave me my shot. It stopped and postured on top of a rock. I took my breath, and eased the trigger. BAM! I watched the fox collapse to the ground. No more movement! I GOT IT FINALLY!

tuGAAoS.jpg

Ok, so not my first coyote, but I was still very happy with the results. On that last stand, we called in 3 foxes, and harvested 2. It was a good day in my eyes! Once we finished up the stand, I let my excitement flow. I snapped my pictures, talked about the stand, and we wrapped up the day!

This success is what I have been looking for. Even after getting it, I still can't wait for more! This community is one I am thankful for, and I am so happy to receive the help and advice from all members! Now heres to hoping that I can keep bringing more good stories! Thank you all!

-DM

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Originally Posted By: weekenderYou gone and done it now, totally addicted.

So much so haha. I don't know how I have waited so long to start doing it.

Congrats man
thumbup1.gif
. HAs I have said before, you're now addicted, you shoulda chose cocaine it's cheaper
scared.gif
Really enjoy your stories and seeing your success, keep it up

Congratulations! It’s always a memorable trip when you get your first one. I still remember mine like it was yesterday. Keep it up and much success to you in the future!

Just curious... do you work in tech? I see some similarities in how we write-up stories. Figure the question is worth an ask.

Congratulations on the kill! Hope the feeling last you long enough until you manage a success again!

Thank you all for the responses! I can't wait to get out and find some more. The community and the experience is addicting enough, now just having a success makes me want to get out more.

Originally Posted By: TheGDogJust curious... do you work in tech? I see some similarities in how we write-up stories. Figure the question is worth an ask.

Congratulations on the kill! Hope the feeling last you long enough until you manage a success again!

I do not work in tech. I teach medical "stuff." So the medical side tends to make me descriptive (trust me I try not to get out of hand when telling a story haha) and the teaching side makes me wordy. Hopefully, it's a good thing that we write similarly haha.

Originally Posted By: arkrunnerGreat learning experience. Im still trying for my first

Keep at it! I am in no way a seasoned predator hunter, but I have learned that's the best thing you can do. Plus it is just fun to get out and enjoy the outdoors!
This is a great place for advice and help too.

Back