16ga

emptymag

Anyone shoot a 16ga much? I won a beretta at a ducks unlimited banquet last year and traded it for a mint Ithaca model 37 in 16ga. I’m in love with it. I had several good duck hunts with it last year. Shot some federal steel #4 and Kent bismuth at decoying birds with great results. Now I kinda want another 16ga. What’s everyone use their 16 for? And what ammo?

Good choice on the Ithaca 37, I have a few of them, one in 16ga. I've had the 16 for probably 30 years or more, love it! Killed foxes, squirrels, pheasants, you name it. I never used any specific ammo, just tried to use the right shot size for the game I was after.

Now that is adding a little more challenge to the sport. Heck there are sometimes I miss with a 12 gauge and wonder how that happened. Good stuff and good luck

Have a nice mod 12 in 16g, shot a fall turkey in 2016 with in 2016, but mostly carry it for birds and squirrels. Also a Sauer drilling that is 2 1/2 " 16 and shot 2 deer with Brenneke slugs when they needed a followup shot. My brother got my Dads Fox Sterlingworth when we split up his guns, another nice 16. That Ithaca is a winner for sure! Coyote loads are only an option for reloaders though.

Dad's favorite shotgun was his Belgian Browning Sweet Sixteen. He hunted quail, doves, crow, starlings, rabbit and squirrel routinely with his Sweet 16. I think he killed a deer with it using a slug one deer season. Think he used whatever load was right for the game at the time. I do know he was deadly with his Auto Five Brownings. I used to marvel at how easy he made it look to hit quail on the covey rise, often taking a double as easy as you please. Dad preferred a rifle for deer hunting but when in brushy country he sometimes used his Light Twelve with slugs. When I was about thirteen or fourteen we were walking out a brushy creek bottom and jumped a small herd of deer and they lit out like their tail was on fire. I didn't even raise my gun because I knew I couldn't hit one but the old A5 hit dads shoulder and boom - kerchunk, boom - kerchunk and two deer were doing their death throes. Good times...

First and only time I ever got Knocked on my azz was my grandpa's single shot Remington 16 gauge out pheasant hunting. When he passed I got it and still have it today. Thanks for bringing this up, makes me smile.

One of the most overlooked gauges for bird hunting. Have a handful. Cpl model 12s a couple SxS and a couple of older Auto 5s. When the non toxic shot rules for waterfowl came in I stopped using them that much, as ammunition and components for reloading became scarce. This was before the internet which has sense rectified that I would imagine.
Good gauge.

Last edited:
We have a Model 12 and an Ithaca 37 in 16 ga, use them for grouse a fair amount. I have other shotguns but the son likes older guns with history. We most often carry #6 lead shot.

My first gun was a double barrel Fox Sterlingworth given to me by my Dad. I killed crows, doves, quail, snipe, squirrels and rabbits all with #6 or #8 shot. I just passed it own to my nephew because I don't have a son. He has two boys.

Last edited:
I have a nice little drilling 6.5x58R/16ga/16ga 2 1/2" that I use for coyotes with 1 oz of NP BB's. Great little rig for close cover.

A Marlin Model 90 O/U 16ga 26" barrel IC & Mod great grouse and woodcock rig.

A pretty little Spanish sxs Mod & Full

And finally a little French sxs that I shoot 3/4 oz ITX 6's for ducks.

I think there are a couple more lurking in the shadows but I haven't taken them out in a long time.

I have 2 Ithaca model 37's in 16ga with modified choke barrels. The first one was purchased around 1960 and was my go to gun for all small game. That shotgun shot a lot of small game and would still be my first choice for bunnies, grouse, doves, and pheasants.

Back