Baiting

Good Morning gentlemen...and ladies if any are on here(hate to assume there are not). Evidently I have not gotten them all yet. Had some luck this morning at the 170 yd site. Male pup. R700 .22-250 with a 45 gr Sierra spitzer running at 3800 fps. Won't be skinning this one...I think the fur is over. #13 on the bait and 1 calling, for a total this year so far...14 coyotes. It has been a good year this year.
J3-13170 (2) by jrhranch, on Flickr

J3-13170 (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr

Keep up all the good work fellas, summer is coming.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Side note:
I pulled the trailcam video and was able to watch several 5 sec videos of this guy. He was tearing up the beaver that I put out several days ago...not on the deer. Just an observation at this point, but I do have a good supplier of beaver carcass for next year. It may be something to watch. Oh yah...the kill shot video...plum took him right off his feet. Good stuff!!!
Stay after em!!!!

Thanks guys!! Here is my issue with videos...first I don't have a youtube account or anything like that to host a video. The main reason I don't is because I live out in the sticks and have satellite internet. I have very limited data on the package that I am running, so videos have been pretty much a no go here. Videos burn up a lot of data to upload and download. And, I have to tell ya, when you run over...ooohhh slow to no internet. So I have kind of learned to run with what I got for now. You should try raising teenagers on that plan!!! Anyway, Maybe I can sneak one in sometime...if I can figure out youtube. Apologies guys, until I upgrade a package or figure something out.

Baitpile, nice job once again. You have had a very good season. Looks like that 45 grain bullet did a real number.

As to slow Internet and teenagers, you may be blessed with that one.

Actually 6mm, looks worse than it really is...just lots of blood. .224 entry hole and about a dime sized exit. That bullet has been performing well with no fur issues to date. And definitely no splashes.
My boys are actually older now, Air Force and college, but did have this package when they were in school. Boy, no youtube and knocking them off snapchat and what ever other computer stuff they were into...yes, a challenge. But we made it.

Awesome guys!!! Been slow here until tonight. Had a yote slip in on me last night at 4am and I was asleep. First yote on cam in five days. Dang. Got set up on them tonight and one came in 11:24 and got popped. Went about 15’ and down. When reviewing the video I can see the eyes of a second yote when I shot. At 12:14 a yote comes up to the dead one smelling it. I swear it’s nose was touching the dead one when I shot it. Looks to be piled up right outside the light. As I was trying to see the second one in the scope I heard a third yote howl. Can’t tell how far or really in what direction from my shooting window. Maybe he will come to the party. This is the last night I can hunt as our night hunting season goes out on the 15th and I have to work the next two nights. Keep up the yote control guys.

Looks like a lot of coyote action lately. I think DoubleUp is about ready to post up another one too. Good job all around.

I posted this over in the Night Hunting Section, but even though I know this is the baiting thread, you guys love pics and video too.

My hunting buddy was too tired to go last night so I went by myself. Called in front of the local prison where I killed one earlier in the fall. Had a pair that responded to coyote vocals. I killed the first one at 85 yds. but the second one didn't stop until about 300+ yds. I had a good hold on the shot, but apparently shot just under her. The first one turned out to be a black male.

Here's a couple of pics.

. by Double Up, on Flickr

. by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video. The place where I was calling has a lot of backscatter light from the prison, so I had to use my Night Stalker tripod from a sitting position to not be so lit up. Had I been able to call standing, I think I could have made the double because I wouldn't have had to keep moving the tripod. Also after reviewing the video, if I had been more patient, I think the female might have come back and given me a closer shot. I was trying too hard to make the double and with the adrenaline pumping it was too much temptation to take the long standing shot. At least I got the black one, but didn't know until I went to retrieve him.

WOW DU!!! That is the darkest coyote I have ever seen!!! That is a BLACK coyote!!! NICE!!! Very well done!!! Good work everyone!! I always said March was my best month. Not so much this year, but looks like that may hold true in other areas as well considering the action you guys are posting up!! Good work!!

Last night was the end of my predator season here. (Sniff, sniff) I logged in 171 hours on stand this season with 9 Red fox, 0 Gray fox, 9 coons, 5 possums, 0 skunk, and 1 game camera sighting of a coyote. I have to say switching from red light to night vision certainly increased my takes by well over 50% with fox. Of the 9 fox kills, 7 were with night vision and 5 of my 9 coons were shot using night vision. All in all a very good season for me. Now, its with drawl time and on to neglected chores and projects. Oh yea, and then there is Turkey Season!!

Baiters,Keep after those coyotes! You guys Rock and Rattle the fur!! - gg

Pretty good season there Gobbler. Maybe next year will put that coveted coyote in your sights. It's only a matter of time. Wiley is here to stay and on the increase.

Hey all! This was my first year of having a baitpile. I usually only night hunted by calling them in but with my kids sports schedules I have no time to get out so I decided to let them come to me. Since the first of the year I took 10 coyotes, 6 red fox. I never thought that I would shoot that many predators over one baitpile. My question for those of you that have been doing this awhile is, will there be more move back into the area for next year or will I see a decrease? Thanks for any experiences you can give!

Back