South Dakota night hunting rules.

PM forum member Skinney. He is a SD resident and avid night hunter. He also testified before the state legislature to get the laws changed to allow night vision/thermal. When you PM him, be sure to thank him for his work.

Never thought about Skinney, watched a lot of his videos.

I don't expect HTRN to be able to keep up with each state as it's laws change but at the state level you'd think it would be easy.

NY has a caliber restriction for night hunting during deer seasons where rifle hunting is not allowed. It took years for them to word it so you could understand it.

It amazes me how complicated some of these laws have to be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yoteblasterWhat are the rules for night vision use in SD for coyotes?

First you must be a landowner, with the landowner or lease the land you are hunting on.

Spotlighting rules still apply as they always have, shotty and rimfire only while hunting varmints and predators.

NV and Thermal can be used with a centerfire .224 caliber and smaller, to take varmints and predators.

Just to give you a brief rundown.

Originally Posted By: zr600How would that work on wild cats? Like I have a 22-243? Or if I built a 22x6.8 ar?

Cartridge does not matter, caliber does, as long as the projectile isn't larger than .224 diameter. I also think they worded it as anything smaller than .225 in the books FYI.

If you look at page 39 in South Dakota Hunting Regulations 2017, you can use night vision on calibers smaller than .225 in.

"
• A landowner or occupant, eighteen years of
age or older, and no more than two guests
accompanied by the landowner or occupant
may use night vision equipment on the owner’s
or occupant’s land, a firearm using a cartridge
with a bullet diameter below .225 inches, in the
taking of jackrabbits, coyotes, beaver during its
hunting season, foxes, raccoons, opossums,
badgers, skunks, or rodents.
For the purposes of this section, night-vision
equipment is an optical device utilizing light