Baiting

Glad you are enjoying Yote. This is a great thread and a lot to learn from everyone.

Gobbler, yes, I formatted the card. And, just to make sure I formatted it again a few minutes ago. It won't work for some reason. At least my 4gb one works, and that should be good for quite a bit of video anyway. I need to find out what's going on though, maybe get another card. I plan to send this new one back for a refund (Ebay).

Skunks seem to have overrun our farm. When I was growing up I never saw a single skunk despite spending most of my time in the woods and fields. Now they are everywhere, digging up the cabin yard, my son's yard etc. I kill everyone I see.

6mm06 you probably already know but you must use a FULL format on the cards for them to work properly. There is a quick format that ATN says will not work.

Howdy yote killers. Just ran a 30 gr hornady through another yote. Looked like a smaller female. She made it out of the light but was hit hard. Reviewed the shot on the camera and it looked good. Will know more at daylight. Could see the eyes of a second yote at the shot. If I get this one that will be 35. Got to get this pic thing worked out. I’ll have to get the wife on that.
Those atn sights are coming down in price and are looking pretty good. Need the make up my mind either to get one or wait on the new atn coming out.

Thanks guys. Nothing on cam last night. Can’t hunt again until Sunday night. I have three day to hunt before the season closes. Due to work. Yuck.
The wife and I are going to work on this pic thing sat afternoon.

Last night we didn't do anything calling. My hunting buddy was tired and didn't want to go very far. After I got home at about 12:30 I decided to take a look out with the thermal before I turned in for bed and saw a coyote along the woods line. So I had to get the 6mm Parvo out, put the battery pack and dvr back on it and load it.

When I went to look out again, the coyote had come all the way to the corner of the yard just over in the field to about 155 yds. where I throw the older scraps. Problem was I couldn't be sure it was a coyote because even though I thought it was, I didn't want to shoot a dog. This coyote didn't show any of the nervousness that usually marks coyotes, and I was concerned that it could be someone's dog. So I had to go to the Photon to be sure, but I didn't want to use the IR light on the rifle. Thankfully there was enough light from the shop IR to still tell that it was a coyote for sure.

By the time I got the 6mm back up, the coyote was moving across the field and getting farther away, but she stopped long enough to give me a 215 yd. shot. I could tell I hit her hard by the way she reacted and momentarily fell in a field ditch, but she didn't stay down. In fact, she ran probably sixty yards before she bought the farm. I didn't shoot a second time as I could tell she was running dead. She was shot through the heart as I suspected last night. I didn't go out and recover her until this morning. She was too stiff to pose for a good picture.

DU nice shooting, he did look like he didn't have a care in the world.

Are you worried about how coyotes react to your IR light, I've been told over and over there is no effect?

Heck of a shot with the Parvo, you sure can hold it steady.

Pmack, you are correct in that you have been told that, however........

Last edited:
Yeah, Lol, I've been told that too, but somebody forgot to tell the coyotes. I have a big IR light on the back of my shop that comes on at dark and stays on all night. If they are on the bait pile I don't need any additional IR from the rifle. I thought about shooting that one last night with 243 while I was looking through the Photon, but I knew the video would be pretty dim and yes, I didn't want to take a chance on spooking the coyote with the rifle mounted IR, plus I knew if I shot with the IR on, the white out would block the kill.

NICE!!!! Good job DU!!! Heck of a shot!!! Congrats on another one down!!! Sure is nice to have you guys with the video...if I can't kill any, I can at least watch you guys killin em!!

Last Friday night's take. Had to improvise on the coon shot. The coon stayed behind the bait feeder for 25 minutes not affording me a good shot. The batteries eventually went dead on my IR leaving me with a complete black out. Fortunately, I had along my Scan-pro headlamp and was able to get it turned on and directed at the coon, giving me enough light to make the shot. Improvisation at its best! I had a spare set of batteries with me which I switched out and about an hour later shot the wood rat.

Coon and possum March 9, 2018 by Gobbler Getter, on Flickr

Video of coon:

Sometimes the game cameras catch some pretty amazing things at the bait piles.
Here is one video of a Red-tailed Hawk and a Bald Eagle sparring over a meal. Thought ya'll might enjoy.

Agreed weekender! Brave but foolish hawk.
If the Eagle wanted, it could have easily riped that hawk's brave heart right out with it's switch blade talons and razor beak. Silly hawk.

Back