AR Upper Build

Delta Dog

I have a few questions on putting together my first upper. It will get shot at the range and for fun, but it’s a purpose build for coyotes and bobcats in the south.

First, I know I want an 18” barrel with a mid length gas system. Aesthetically this is what I’m after, as I want to cover the gas block with a mid length hand guard.

What calibers function well with a mid-length system? Was told to forget about the .224V, and I’d like to go with something a little more interesting than a .223. I don’t reload, but this will be a dedicated hunting upper.

At 18”, I don’t think the 17 Rem is a viable option, but I would love to be wrong.

To be honest I’d like to stay in the $200 ballpark for a barrel. HBAR / national match or something similar for a compact build that is stable but not too heavy.

Any options I’m not thinking of or help would be appreciated. Will most likely be going with an Aero lower and go from there.

Thanks

Jake

I am a big fan of Aero's M4E1 uppers, they have just been beefed up at the area you attach the barrel, which seems like quite an important thing to me.

As for calibers, if you are thinking about .224V and .17 Rem I would look into 22x6.8, if you are.... that's right, you aren't reloading... Then I would stick with 223. Some others here would know better about factory availability of ammo for some other AR calibers but once you go away from 223 the ammo gets significantly more expensive and hard to find.

You might look into a 20 Practical AR...everything about it is 223...you use 223 brass, 223 magazines...all you do is neck it down to 20 caliber and you are good to go. Might be a good time to start reloading...if not, do a 204 in an AR...plenty of factory ammo available.

Back