Bobcat tonight

1trkyhntr

Killed this 20lb male tonight. He came in to Devil Hare at about 3-4 minutes.
4l49AMF.jpg

You seldom post multiple critters (if ever from what I recall) but seem to be super successful and do it with the least amount of effort and home in bed at a reasonable hour. You are the model of consistency. Good to see you rewarded with a cat. And yes I am envious!

Really nice cat. I am beginning to believe that Devil Hare is an excellent sound for bobcats. I called one in and killed it recently in daylight using Devil Hare. When I walked out to the bobcat laying there I looked down at my remote, it showed 3 minutes 30 seconds. they don't always take their time stalking the sound. I hunt the Pamunkey and Mattaponi River bottoms just north of Richmond a bit. Stay after them.

Good job trkyhntr

Last edited:
This is the 3rd cat I've shot this season but the first recovery. Found blood on the other two but they both got into thick cover and I could not find them. I think that they are every bit as tough, if not tougher, than any coyote as far as taking a bullet. I hit this one just about dead center at about 50 yards and a 2nd bullet in his hind leg as he was running away, he still ran about 30-40 yards.
I turned this one to show the good side in the photo, the other side is pretty blown out.

Last edited:
Wow! it looked like a perfect bullet placement and he still ran that far, they are tough. We've lost one this year as well. Blood pooled up with intestinal matter and undigested food in the pool, hit to far back I am sure. Byron South told me that bobcats take a bullet with less hydroshock effect than a coyote due to their having more dense muscle mass. I believe he may be right.

My bigger cat this year took a 50 grain Superformance under the chin from a 22-250. It dropped on the spot.

That's interesting about seeing the undigested food in the blood pool, I found that same thing on the one that got away about 10 days ago. It was strips of what looked like rabbit hide about as big as my little finger with some blood drops mixed in. I trailed it for about 60 yards until it ran out. I don't understand how it got away with what must have been a devastating wound. The strips were large enough that they showed up in the FLIR but I could not find the cat. The trail led out into a pretty large field but bordered by thick cover. I went back the next morning and looked hard but no sign of it anywhere.

Last edited:
Nice trkyhntr.

Bobcats have a lot of stamina in general. My experience has been that even with near perfect shots, they many times will jump and run. They generally don't go far, but can get into some thick vegetation quickly.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Nice trkyhntr.

Bobcats have a lot of stamina in general. My experience has been that even with near perfect shots, they many times will jump and run. They generally don't go far, but can get into some thick vegetation quickly.

Sadly I have to agree with the above, it still hurts years later.

I have often thought about going to a smaller caliber like .223, 204, 22 Hornet. In the interest of saving fur. But after considering what I have seen and the discussion with Byron South, I generally stay with the 22-250 if in Bobcat habitat. I still try and make perfect hits but I feel more confident of one being DRT impacts with it. A few years ago I skinned out a BIG bobcat that was killed down in 1trkyhntr area, I realized then what kind of muscle mass Byron was talking about. He looked like a freaking weight lifter from the ribcage forward, thick and dense tissue.

Back