Rebarrel Tikka T3 lite?

Ducksoup

Has anyone had their Tikka T3 in 22-250 rebarreled with a faster twist barrel? That 1-14" twist rate is terrible for longer bullets! I can't even get the 55 grain vmax to shoot worth a darn! I'm currently using the Berger 55 grain hollow point match and the 55 grain MidSouth varmint extreme soft point and they shoot okay. I'd like to shoot the various 55 grain plastic tip bullets and maybe even some 60 grain bullets but there's no way with a 1-14" twist! I'd like to go to a 1-10" twist but my gunsmith says he's not set up to do metric. I'd appreciate any input.

I have a Superlite that I shot a bunch of Hdy 55gr Varmint Express ammo in that shot really well. Did you try any factory loads? I was shooting that ammo up for the brass, but did find that it liked the 50gr ammo of the like kind a bit more.

I have heard of a couple places that have had to get metric stuff. They weren't exactly thrilled about the expense but it is part of stepping to the future.
The Tikka's and others are here to stay. Those that don't want to get the tools up to date don't want the work.
The Tikka stock twist is limited and doesn't bother me as it has killed a pile of coyotes.
Not worried about longer lead free bullets yet. Some say the barnes bullets can be finicky.
They have marketed 1-8 twist .22-250 lite recently. The new X model allows a grip change for a much better hold.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/38416

I shoot Sierra 55 and 52 grain hollow points with great results in mine but I am also looking to rebarrel it it 22 Creedmoor

my t-3 lite 22-250 only shoots the remington 45 gr jacketed hollow points really well. sometimes under a 1/2 inch. i wanted to shoot the 55 grain stuff too but those groups were awful. even the 50 gr v-max factory stuff wouldnt group as well as the cheap 45 gr hollow points.

ive heard other guys say the same thing about their tikka t-3's in 22-250

Seems like you need a new GS. One that won't tool up for a Tikka is silly to me. Send it to Long Rifles Inc and they'll get it hooked up for you.

I’ll put a vote in for running 50gr nbt. Works awesome in my slower 223rem and great in my buddies 22-250. Our fur guy had 5 or 6 bullet bases he found on the offside hide from 22-250.

I shoot the Sierra 55 SBT in my Tikka 22-250. Coyotes are dead forever.
smile.gif

barrel twist should not be your problem 14 twist is made specifically to shoot 50 and 55 grain bullet optimally. my ruger has a 14 twist 22-250 factory barrel and I have got it to shoot 60 grain bullets before.

the gun should have an accuracy guarantee, never seen a tikka that didn't shoot quite a few different loads really great.

My T3 22-250 will throw 3 of my favorite coyote bullets, Sierra 52gr BT HP, into a 1" circle at 285 yards. They're tuff enough to go thru a shoulder too.

I know LRI can rebarrel the Tikas too. I talked to them about it. If remember right they said all that needs to really be done to a Tikka is adjust the trigger rebarrel with aftermarket barrel new stock and bed it. The actions are good enough from the factory and the triggers to not needing any work.

The threads are metric by. 1-16 thread will work, my Smith has done a lot of them, 5 currently and more to come. Have fun getting the barrel off, use a heat gun!

Back