How Shotgun Pellets Draft in a Shot String

And that's straight on shooting. Now I take it if the shotgun were moving as in shooting at something running 30mph at the time the shot was exiting the muzzle, now lets add a 20mph wind blowing opposite the target, I bet it would be a lot less hits on a moving target board? Maybe half of what you would usually get??????? Now we got things to think about.

How fast can you swing a shotgun? I promise you, not fast enough to hose shot laterally. It's all angels dancing on a pin head in the end.

Want to bet on this? Read Bob Bristers book the art and science of shotgunning, he did test on this. Read it and get back to me.Originally Posted By: GCHow fast can you swing a shotgun? I promise you, not fast enough to hose shot laterally. It's all angels dancing on a pin head in the end.

Forgot to answer your question. I've owned a copy of Bristers book for years. I just dug it out, a quick glance says "Copyright 1976." Could we have advanced our knowledge and technology in the last 42 years?

As far as I know a lead bb is a lead bb, with me so far? I never said it was yesterdays news.12 gauge shotguns, 12 gauge shells. We have 3 1/2" , steel, tungsten, and flitecontrol wads today. And your going to tell me the shot don't string out, am I right? I duck hunt, ya you have a problem with duck hunters? I guaran dam tee you shot strings out horizontal. Read the book and quit yer quackin away, you might learn something. Originally Posted By: GCForgot to answer your question. I've owned a copy of Bristers book for years. I just dug it out, a quick glance says "Copyright 1976." Could we have advanced our knowledge and technology in the last 42 years?

A 12 foot shot string with #4 hevi-shot don't matter eh? Right from your source. You would need 3 4' wide sheets of plywood to catch all the shot, Verses a steady barrel only needing one! You are like the source that you gave, ignore it, don't worry about it, just concentrate on the steady shot. To bad, look the other way like your idiots said, that is not how it works in the real world. Brister said in his book, he ended up aiming at the front of the first piece of plywood "the target"and to catch every bb he ended up with pellets stretched out over 4 sheets of plywood @40mph or some such. Anyone who hunts ducks and shoots at bluebills right over the water can see the shot string strung out more than 10-12'. Try it some time. The only way you won't get it strung out is if you stop your swing and shoot , but everbody knows you swing and follow through, eh? Shooting at a standing coyote 40yds piece of cake, but moving at 40mph the shot string makes for a much less dense pattern. Originally Posted By: GCI don't care if you're a Pterodactyl hunter, you ain't swinging that barrel fast enough to horizontally spread the shot.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=egBdRMiW0ag

LOL, ok maybe I'm not understanding exactly what your point is. How about explaining what exactly I'm missing?

I guess I don't understand. Pellets leave the barrel in a wad right? That makes them a single projectile exiting the barrel. I guess I've never thought about it before but I don't see how that changes the shot pattern. You're leading a bird or whatever so you're not shooting behind it.

I’ve got a couple wooden rulers, a yard stick, and some tape measures of varying lengths if we need to take a measurement. I can take a non biased measurement if we need a judge. I can’t, however, subscribe to the idea that I can swing my barrel fast enough at a moving target of any type to make the shot spread around like water being sprayed out of hose.

If your shooting at a duck that's going 40mph your gun is swinging as fast as the duck. Brister in his testing found the shot started to hit the first part of his target and ended up with shot pellets in the last part of the his target about 12'. In other words a 12'shot string get it? Instead of all your pellets landing in a nice 30" circle with a steady aim from a stationary gun, your pellets are spread OUT 12'. it's called a shot string. If your swinging the shotgun the same speed as yer dam duck, your shot string is 10-12' even with hevishot, steel is shorter but still there 6-7' instead of a 30"circle. Yes you think your shot is coming out all at once, BUT your moving your barrel trying to keep up with the moving TARGET. Even in the article that was referred to me they said it, but not to worry about it, I'm not worried about it, just the facts, pure science is what were talking about, the first pellets land 12 feet away from the last pellets. If the Barrel is not moving the pellet to the left is 30"from the farthest pellet to the right.Dam I have to draw pictures er what? Originally Posted By: AdamTI’ve got a couple wooden rulers, a yard stick, and some tape measures of varying lengths if we need to take a measurement. I can take a non biased measurement if we need a judge. I can’t, however, subscribe to the idea that I can swing my barrel fast enough at a moving target of any type to make the shot spread around like water being sprayed out of hose.

Back