Hunting shoes?

Originally Posted By: kswaterfowlHas anyone tried Salomon's? I was looking at the Salomon Quest 4d, and it looks like they got really good reviews.

I just bought a set and love them. Hunted hard for the last 3 weeks in them and they impressed the crap out of me. Feel like tennis shoes but show little signs of wear.

I found out about them when I did a gear search of what our Tier 1 military guys who get to pick their own gear use.

I use a set of Kenatrek gators with the solomons also.

The other choice of the pro's is the Vasque Men's Juxt Multi-Sport Shoe. With REI gators. I bought those also but haven't hunted in them yet.

I ended up buying the Salomon ultra mid 2, and I have been really impressed with them. They are lightweight, comfortable, and have great arch support.

Magellan snake boots. Very comfortable and I wear them even when it's not "snake season" because they provide good ankle support.

As a general purpose boot I'll vote for the Danner Pronghorns too. I wouldn't say that I would want to walk 10 miles in them but they're all-day-comfortable. Perfect for driving and walking into your stands. I think they're 400G of insulate which is just warm enough that they don't bake my feet walking between the car and stands.

For hiking you really can't beat a stiff Vibram soled boot. I used to be Army SF and have gone through every boot you can imagine. Every deployment I would buy a fresh new pair of boots and THE BEST boot I ever had was the Asolo Power Matic 200 GV. Expensive but will last for years. I still have a pair I wear almost daily...

Last edited:
I'm liking my Garmont Tower Treks on long hikes. Also like the leather lined Lowa Tibets. If it's super cold and the snow is deep I wear White's Elk Hunters. If it's mucky or I expect some creek crossings I'll wear my Lacrosse Alphaburlys.

I'm a Muck Boot fan... But here in Wisconsin we don't have things that are continually trying to kill us
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: kswaterfowlHas anyone tried Salomon's? I was looking at the Salomon Quest 4d, and it looks like they got really good reviews.

Yep I've been running Solomons for about 4 years, the GTX 4D's, which I'll get about a year out of before I tear the sole or side out of them, so far I've went through 3 pairs.

I wear the GTX XA Pro 3D's with REI gaiters for mild weather, they're light, quiet and comfortable, sometimes I'll run in them as lift, just hammered out 4 coyotes lastnight for a buddy in his calving lot wearing the 3D's. I've went through 2 pairs of them so far.

I also abuse the Solomon Speed Cross line, I've owned 4 pairs of the speedcross 3's and on my second set of 4's, an awesome shoe for lifting, cross training, running, and I even wear mine sometimes with the gaiters to hunt.

Probably some of the best footwear I've used over the years.

Above freezing or even mid twenties I wear my Nicks Boots. Mine are steel toes and with wool socks I feel comfortable down to 25-30 with them. I love these boots have had them for two years used them for work which I’m a Boilermaker we are hard as [beeep] on our boots in fly ash welding and cutting. These are the best boots I ha e ever owned. I wished they made them in like a 600-800 insulated. I need to have them resouled but other then that they have held up great. 2-4 times a year I clean them really good and oil them with the oil Nicks Boots brands. After two years steel toe isn’t showing and the soles not separating. They are a hand made boot very high quality. It’s what most of the wild land firefighters were for boots. Just wish I could find a fully water proof/insulated boot as comfortable and tough as these. I highly recommend them but they are very expensive upfront and a bear to break in but so worth it.

I use Schnee’s Beartooth 2 boots. Have probably been the best boots for hunting I have bought to date. Little speedy($400) but well worth it. Should last several years.

In the Summer I wear some Rocky Upland boots, uninsulated.

In the cool fall and spring, a pair of Danner 400g Sage

Cold, Danner East Ridge 800g

Back