6.5 Grendel Ammo Boxes

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
I use 50 round ammo boxes for most of my ammo. When doing load dev I put rounds in rows and note the charge in each row, they must stay in place.

I have Dillon 50 round medium rifle boxes. They fit the grendel but are tall enough that if the box gets flipped, rounds come out of the holes. The small rifle boxes for 223 have holes too small for the grendel case to fit, though the length would be perfect.

I have some Franklin #509's that work & don't do this, they're short enough to keep them in place. It looks like the #512 is a better fit but I don't have any and shopping for either, they're either harder to find or cost more than I want to pay.

7.62x39 boxes will work. Midway currently has these in stock & priced better than amazon:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/830621...nd-smoke-5-pack

2 packs of 5 shipped to me with NRA round up came to $31.00, so $3.10 / box.

I've seen threads n these boxes where they've been out of stock but they do have them now if anyone is looking.

I cut a piece of Styrofoam to fit tight on the box lid. The loaded rounds bullet will stick into the foam slightly keeping cases from rattling in the box and it makes it so the emptys will stay in each spot as well.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorI cut a piece of Styrofoam to fit tight on the box lid. The loaded rounds bullet will stick into the foam slightly keeping cases from rattling in the box and it makes it so the emptys will stay in each spot as well.

I cut a piece of high density foam to put in the top. I got it at an upolstrey shop. We use it to make the padding on ironing boards.

Greg

I just bought some new ammo boxes for mine. Was using my 223 boxes but needed more space.

I picked up these at Midway:
MTM Flip-Top Ammo Box 22-250 Remington, 250 Savage, 35 Remington 50-Round

I haven't used them, just stuck a couple rounds and empty brass in. Loaded rounds should stay put fine, empty brass maybe not as well you what your link picture looks like.

yes, I've used cheap sponges to do the same. But for the long run I like boxes that better fit the ammo. YMMV

Back