6x45 Bolt Gun, thoughts?

TripleL

Anybody around running a 6x45 in a bolt gun? Thinking about building up something a little different in a bolt gun and have always liked the 6x45. Currently have a 6x45 in an AR so it would be an easy move as far as ammo goes. Mostly looking at a light recoiling paper puncher, maybe a little varmint action as well. Thoughts from anyone who has one? Maybe push towards a different round?

I have one on a Rem 600, built it after I wore out the 223 barrel. Great rig, easy to load, lots of data. I run mostly 55gr NBT's for coyotes and 70gr Match bullets for paper but I've found that the 58gr V-Max is extremely accurate also. I'd look at one of the Mini Howas for the conversion.

I also shoot a 6mm-204, a little faster and just as easy to work with another no fire-forming wildcat with off the shelf dies. I use this one with Lead Frees mostly.

Last edited:
I built one of a savage model 11. Black hole barrel, Hogue stock
ACCURATE AS ALL HECK. Mine loves the sierra 70 blitz and the sierra 75hp.

I put one together a while back on a R700 action, 20" barrel. I run 105gr Amax's in mine. Quite possibly one of the funnest guns I have. I often think of putting together a lighter one to hunt with.

34928725994_c484c69479_b_d.jpg

34928725024_31a0a6eeeb_b_d.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like everyone is satisfied with their 6x45 bolt guns. I was thinking a 20" 1:10 would be the route I would go on a barrel. More than likely a 700 pattern but that howa mini has got me thinking...

Do you all think that a 12 twist would allow shooting 85 grainers at 6x45 velocities in a bolt gun? Seems like it is the cutoff but I’m not sure that is true with the lower velocity in 6x45 vs say a .243. I mostly run 70 bk and 85 gk from Sierra in my current 6x45 which is a 10 twist.

Originally Posted By: TripleLDo you all think that a 12 twist would allow shooting 85 grainers at 6x45 velocities in a bolt gun? Seems like it is the cutoff but I’m not sure that is true with the lower velocity in 6x45 vs say a .243. I mostly run 70 bk and 85 gk from Sierra in my current 6x45 which is a 10 twist.

I think a 12 might be ragged edge on that.Traditionally a 10 is used most that I have seen built. Some a tad faster but none slower that I have shot. Here;s mine that Riotch had spun up for me.

z5jGZmB.jpg

WXwLcBS.jpg

A few groups I managed.I wish I was better off the bench..lol

6fA3yrh.jpg

Greg

Just waiting on the barrel to arrive, I went with a 22" X-cal 8 twist on a Rem700. Doing the Remage route so I can take care of everything myself.

I built one on a Stiller Tac 30 with McMillan A3, Krieger 1-12 twist barrel, jewel trigger. Originally it was 24" but cut it back to 18" when my suppressor came along.

I personally went with 1-12" twist because that will get you to the 85's and where I feel the 6x45 shines is in the 65-80gr bullet range. I've got several other rifles in 6mm and if I need a heavier high BC bullet, there are better power plant options for heavies out there than the little 223 case.

However, for your shooting pleasure inside say 500 yards on somewhat calm days, there is nothing much more fun or cheaper than the 6x45. I had one in an AR too and liked the chambering enough to go full tilt on the build. If you like it in the AR it only gets twice better in the bolt gun.
-get the bullet out of the case for more powder capacity (no more 2.26" handicap)
-Get the bullet near the lands (no more 2.26" handicap that keeps anything more pointy than a shoe box in a "jump" even with a zero freebore) for better accuracy **** the best of all advantages
-Better bullet options (no more 2.26" limit, opens doors to bullets like the Berger 69gr HBCHP and it's slender design that is too deep in the case at 2.26")
-Stop having to look on the ground for brass
-Bolt guns in 6x45 are just cool
-Bolt guns in 6x45 make your friends jealous & then they build one too

It's cheap to shoot (almost free brass with little powder charge), has little recoil & pop (especially "canned") & barrel should be good for several thousand rounds. ANd the more you shoot, the better you are. So it makes a lot of sense... Especially when it shoots like it does. It's "almost" as good as the 6BR on paper, even using range brass...

I have 1with 2 barrels, one light and one heavy both 16”. I love them and are super fun and easy to load for and shoot. But I’m hoping for a little more so a 6mm Valkyrie is coming soon.

Back