complete upper???

skindaddy

prob. been beat to death, but what would you buy for good all around complete upper .223? thinking 20" , possibly even fluted maybe not.
i have lower only at the moment.
is it expensive to get it colored?which i assume is cerakote?

Last one I bought like that was from the old Bushmaster company for $875 plus shipping
20 inch fluted barrel with free floating tube. That was before they got bought out.
It has a wylde chamber.

Trying to keep budget middle of road whatever that is.
Use, targets, varmints,don't really know features other than first stated, Wylde I guess than I could use 5.56 and 223 right.
Maybe not fluted prob adds good $$$$

Ritch Johnson makes a great upper...but I don't know if you would consider that "middle of the road" pricing.

Otherwise, gather parts and have fun building it. Joe Bob Outfitters is a great source for good parts at nice prices with amazing CS and shipping.

yeah wasnt sure i wanted to build whole thing myself quite yet, i still dont know how or understand some of these parts and such.
plus not having it to see and touch makes harder also.

haha need to find the basic not boring videos that get right to the point.

Last edited:
There are generally two types of standards when it comes to upper assemblies..Those that are put together out of bins of parts sitting along side an assembly line and those that are hand fitted and trued by individual attention..

Some times those parts out of an assembly bin have been machined to proper specs and tolerances and go together as they should and produce a fine shooting firearm, other times the specs may be off just a small amount and the buyer winds up with a challenge.

You have two real concerns when looking at the AR..Quality of the barrel/fit and the quality of the trigger group, everything else is superficial and up to personal choice...The best barrel on the market will produce substandard results if it was not trued and fitted to the upper receiver properly..The cost difference between taking a chance on factory production and that of having a reputable builder put one together is not really that much when you toss in your confidence factor when shooting it....

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle.The best barrel on the market will produce substandard results if it was not trued and fitted to the upper receiver properly..

Whoa, I am waiting on a new WOA barrel and a new upper receiver to build my first upper myself; what is this truing and fitting procedure you speak of??

Model 1 sales in TX, had complete set up, except the lower, 20" 1 to 9 twist, trigger parts, 4 position butt, and pistol grip for under $500. You call them and tell them what you want and I had mine in 4 days.

My very first AR was a 20" Model 1 sales standard A2 kit with and Hbar. It shot amazing groups! I had sub inch groups at 300 yards with 50 grain Vmax and Varget. I took for granted that they wouldn't all shoot that way and sold it to build a 16" carbine (easier to carry). It was lucky to shoot 1.5" groups at 100.

Check out DTech. There are plenty of PM members that he's built uppers for, including a 20" fluted and 18" fluted for me.

holy cow checked out model 1 sales prices seem good, problem is there is like 5 questions they ask when getting a price and each question has 10 choices! haha i dont even know what half of that stuff is crap im used to rifle buy it,load it, shoot it!!

"I don't even know what half of that stuff is crap I'm used to rifle buy it, load it, shoot it!!"

That's funny, there, especially cause I am often right there with you. Once you get to looking and studying on it though, it makes a lot more sense. Be careful, though, them black rifles are an infectious disease...

Back