25 DTI Brass Forming

Catdog1

What steps are required to form the .25 DTI cartridge? Im just learning about this little hotrod and im considering getting one. I would like to shoot the 75-90gr bullets as fast as possible. From an 18" barrel.

Run the 6.8 brass through the 25 DTI sizing die and load them. The final forming will happen after you fire them.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Run the 6.8 brass through the 25 DTI sizing die and load them. The final forming will happen after you fire them. thank you for the response. How much fireforming takes place compared to the brass just being ran thru the die. Is there a huge difference in case capacity gained thru fireforming or is the change very little? I can not find any specs on this cartridge.

Last edited:
for safety purposes I would personally figure 1 grain. take that into consideration plus the brand of brass that u choose. I did not actually measure mine when I formed it.
U will like the 25 DTI.
Greg Harrison

There is a little change on fireforming but not much. I usually lower the first load on unformed brass by a grain or so.
I have 2 rifles in 25 DTI. Great caliber and very accurate.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: reb8600Run the 6.8 brass through the 25 DTI sizing die and load them. The final forming will happen after you fire them. thank you for the response. How much fireforming takes place compared to the brass just being ran thru the die. Is there a huge difference in case capacity gained thru fireforming or is the change very little? I can not find any specs on this cartridge.

The shoulder-angle changes by pivoting at the neck/shoulder junction. It changes from 23* to 30*. You will see it in the shoulder after firing. It is a small, pie-piece shaped area. Very slight difference in case-capacity, but a bit more efficient than the original angle.

My personal experience has been slightly different that some of the previous posts. I use the same loads in virgin brass as I do in once fired. I get slightly better accuracy with once-fired brass, but have never seen any reason to alter my loads for virgin brass.

Originally Posted By: dtechOriginally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: reb8600Run the 6.8 brass through the 25 DTI sizing die and load them. The final forming will happen after you fire them. thank you for the response. How much fireforming takes place compared to the brass just being ran thru the die. Is there a huge difference in case capacity gained thru fireforming or is the change very little? I can not find any specs on this cartridge.

The shoulder-angle changes by pivoting at the neck/shoulder junction. It changes from 23* to 30*. You will see it in the shoulder after firing. It is a small, pie-piece shaped area. Very slight difference in case-capacity, but a bit more efficient than the original angle.

My personal experience has been slightly different that some of the previous posts. I use the same loads in virgin brass as I do in once fired. I get slightly better accuracy with once-fired brass, but have never seen any reason to alter my loads for virgin brass. thanks so much for the information this is what I was looking for. I have previously had a 22 - 250 Ackley improved and honestly there was a significant difference between my fireform loads and my Ackley loads. Enough that I had to re-zero the gun depending on which loads I was shooting that day, it became very irritating

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Catdog1thanks so much for the information this is what I was looking for. I have previously had a 22 - 250 Ackley improved and honestly there was a significant difference between my fireform loads and my Ackley loads. Enough that I had to re-zero the gun depending on which loads I was shooting that day, it became very irritating

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here is an example of what I do with the 6mm DTI. When I go prairie dog hunting, I will load a couple hundred virgin cases. I will also load 50-100 loads that are exactly the same with once-fired brass. When the shooting starts, I shoot the virgin brass loads until the dogs are burned back a ways, then I switch over to the once-fired loads for shooting out past 400 yards. The once-fired brass does seem to be more accurate, but the virgin brass had proven to be plenty accurate even for small varmint.

Originally Posted By: dtechOriginally Posted By: Catdog1thanks so much for the information this is what I was looking for. I have previously had a 22 - 250 Ackley improved and honestly there was a significant difference between my fireform loads and my Ackley loads. Enough that I had to re-zero the gun depending on which loads I was shooting that day, it became very irritating

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here is an example of what I do with the 6mm DTI. When I go prairie dog hunting, I will load a couple hundred virgin cases. I will also load 50-100 loads that are exactly the same with once-fired brass. When the shooting starts, I shoot the virgin brass loads until the dogs are burned back a ways, then I switch over to the once-fired loads for shooting out past 400 yards. The once-fired brass does seem to be more accurate, but the virgin brass had proven to be plenty accurate even for small varmint. thanks for the info. I'm looking at the 25DTI for a thermal hog gun

I have a Pulsar Thermal on my 25 DTI right now Shooting 90 Sierra GameKings. It will make you a good pig killer for sure!
18 inch barrel is pushing them at 2989fps

Last edited:
Venatic, just out of curiosity care to disclose what load u are using with the 90 HPBT? I think I used TAC but only got about 2904.
Thanks
Greg Harrison

Back