224 Valkyrie barrel twist

yoteblaster

Wanting a 224 Valkyrie AR barrel for the 100 grain or heavier bullet if they make one. I am only seeing 7 twist barrels. Will a 7 twist stabilize 100 grain bullets ?

Keep in mind you can over stabilize but not under. Unless of course you are shooting some seriously small fast bullets and spinning them too fast. Seems like anymore many are going for faster barrels to shoot the whole spectrum of bullets. Check out the berger spin calculator on your chosen bullets. jbm has the bullet lengths or at least most of them.

Sierra data states a recommended 6.5 twist for their new 95 gr bullet. A 7 twist will be fine if you want to shoot light bullets and heavier up to 80 grain. If you are a long range shooter, the heavy pill and fast twist would be my choice.

Originally Posted By: tesoroKeep in mind you can over stabilize but not under.

This information is backward. You can not over stabilize a bullet. You can definitely under-stabilize them. However, one can put too many RPMs on a fragile bullet and cause issues with them coming apart.

Originally Posted By: yoteblasterLooking to use it for pigs at max 200 yards would like to use the 100 grain bullet

In that case, a 6,6.5, or 6.8 makes much more sense. Much easier to get a good barrel that will handle those weights. I do not know of any 224 bullets over 80 gr that I would want to use on big game animals.

I have a 6.8 but no suppressor. I do have a 22 caliber suppressor that I would like to use for pigs but the 22/5.56 just doesn’t have as much power so for now I use my 6.8. The 224 Valkyrie would do it with 100 grain bullet an I could use my suppressor.

Originally Posted By: yoteblasterI have a 6.8 but no suppressor. I do have a 22 caliber suppressor that I would like to use for pigs but the 22/5.56 just doesn’t have as much power so for now I use my 6.8. The 224 Valkyrie would do it with 100 grain bullet an I could use my suppressor.

What 100 grain, .224 Bullet bullet do you plan to use?

Originally Posted By: yoteblasterFederal is coming out with a 224 Valkyrie loaded with a 100 grain fusion bullet

Did they re-announce that? It was in the first news release and was dropped almost immediately.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: yoteblasterFederal is coming out with a 224 Valkyrie loaded with a 100 grain fusion bullet

Did they re-announce that? It was in the first news release and was dropped almost immediately.

Greg

If they do make some, I'd suggest purchasing as much as possible as I see this all as a flash in the pan.

I am still having trouble with the 223 not being enough for the hogs. If stuck on the Valk, I would look at a more widely available bullet such as 70 gr TSX or 64 gr Winchester PP.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: yoteblasterFederal is coming out with a 224 Valkyrie loaded with a 100 grain fusion bullet

Greg

If they do make some, I'd suggest purchasing as much as possible as I see this all as a flash in the pan.

I am still having trouble with the 223 not being enough for the hogs. If stuck on the Valk, I would look at a more widely available bullet such as 70 gr TSX or 64 gr Winchester PP.

There are lots of question about the 1:7 handling the 90's out there. If that's a concern s 100 will be dead on delivery. The case holds barely more than a 223. There is zip to be gained with it unless you punch paper. A proper 223 bullet will kill hogs under 200 but why limit yourself when a 6.5 or 6.8 gives a far better choice in bullets plus a much bigger cross-sectional area.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: yoteblasterFederal is coming out with a 224 Valkyrie loaded with a 100 grain fusion bullet

Greg

There are lots of question about the 1:7 handling the 90's out there. If that's a concern s 100 will be dead on delivery. The case holds barely more than a 223. There is zip to be gained with it unless you punch paper. A proper 223 bullet will kill hogs under 200 but why limit yourself when a 6.5 or 6.8 gives a far better choice in bullets plus a much bigger cross-sectional area.

Greg

The guys at my range run 80 VLD’s in 1-8 barrels, and 90 VLD’s in 1-7 twist bolt guns.
Both shoot just fine to 1000 yards.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: yoteblasterFederal is coming out with a 224 Valkyrie loaded with a 100 grain fusion bullet

Greg

Greg

His caliber restrictions were explained above. He has a can he'd like to use with the 224 caliber. I too would not look at the 224 Valk for getting the heavier bullets. Aside from the proposed Federal offering, I don't see any bullets over 80 Gr I'd sling at critters.

But then, I don't see the fault of the 223 Rem for the Op's application at any rate.

I'd overlooked the can issue. The OTC ammo issue is problematic. The 22Nosler might actually have better hunting bullets offered. Id think a 55 GMX might be a good one. If course a guy could do Mexican Match with non-factory bullets but you might as well just load it yourself then from the get go.

Greg

You guys are pushing me back to my 6.8 an no suppressor.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yoteblasterYou guys are pushing me back to my 6.8 an no suppressor.
smile.gif

Sounds like it is time for another can...
grin.gif

Back