Double up in March!

204 AR

With work getting weird and the weather not cooperating, I had pretty much thrown in the towel on the season since getting skunked a month ago during a benefit contest. It was a great cause with the proceeds going to a couple local young boys whose mother was killed this winter in a car wreck and whose dad died 4 years ago of cancer. I really wanted to make a good showing but it was a tough day with only 22 coyotes killed in total, but a lot of money was raised none-the-less.

Today was looking good on the forecast with a rare day of low wind and the ranchers were seeing coyotes so my partner and I were ready to get out. I really didn't expect much. Here's a view from the first stand:

voRb8W2l.jpg

You can see the plywood decoy and call on the right. Started off with my now standard female howls, with long periods of silence then estrus chirps and fight. About 10 minutes in I caught one coming across the marshy lowland and then veering hard to the right. He wasn't sure of the situation so when he stopped I turned loose the 243 wssm and dropped him hard at 260 yds. Those 87 gr vmax were LOUD when they hit, noticeably harder than from the 243lbc.

I hit my preset fight sound and not a minute later another came streaking across the same lowland but a little to the left of the first one. I had no idea the second one was out there so was a bit surprised. She stopped at maybe 100 yds facing me and another loud whop and down she went.
Whpf1Oel.jpg

Stand two was only 1/3 a mile back in and I didn't think it had a chance but my partner wanted to try it. Same sequence of calls, and sure enough after a bit of the fight there's one down below but really nervous. I got on it when it stopped but knew the shot wasn't good when it broke and it was off to the races. Turns out my partner had seen this one early on and it got out of sight as it nervously wandered in. It was a big pale one that had no doubt had a bit of an education in calling. Would have been great to put it down! The missed shot was about 250 yds.

Then the wind picked up and we just did some scouting the rest of the time. The furbuyers were reluctant to look at them as they are pretty much done buying but were surprised how good they looked so that made me happy too. Cant see it in the pics but the female had a white tip on the tail.

0KMLmFfl.jpg

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Very nice... I don't understand how some of you guys quit hunting and go for months without making a stand. Is there a closed season in your state?

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Very nice... I don't understand how some of you guys quit hunting and go for months without making a stand. Is there a closed season in your state?

Thanks! No season, just no opportunity sometimes. Bad weather, work, other obligations. I hit it pretty hard from the first of November through the end of the year, that's what I save vacation for.

gotta love those vocals, and some think it's all about the RABBIT. Ha!

Quote: I don't understand how some of you guys quit hunting and go for months without making a stand. If you could sell them for $30, $40, or $50 you'd catch on pretty quick I'll bet.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Very nice... I don't understand how some of you guys quit hunting and go for months without making a stand. Is there a closed season in your state?

no closed season. and i used to think the same way. kill em all year round. that was many years ago.

now when i kill a coyote outside of prime fur months i only see a check laying there that cant be cashed. i dont like that.

lots of fishing, camping, 4 wheeling, prairie dog, rock chuck shooting and honey do's will take up my time until next october comes around. fur prices go in the crapper again i will need to rethink all this. lol

I guess if I hunted them just to make money it would bother me to leave them lay. If I believed I could actually rid a certain area of coyotes, or believed that by shooting them in the summer there will be none there in the winter, I might consider holding off...

They key word is "consider" cause I have my own beliefs on if there will still be coyotes there come winter...

I don't think any one caller is good enough to rid ANY area of coyotes and don't think anyone believes that by shooting them all summer that none will be found in the same area come winter. What I do believe is that IF I were to hunt them non stop all year round, I'd kill fewer per day, then if I leave them alone for 6 or 7 months.
I don't hunt them for the money, but it sure is nice to get all my gas money plus some back for the season.
Like slicker said, plenty of others things to do in the summer. Prairie dogs, fishing, honey do's. I don't find it hard at all to leave the coyotes alone.

Originally Posted By: songdogI don't think any one caller is good enough to rid ANY area of coyotes and don't think anyone believes that by shooting them all summer that none will be found in the same area come winter. What I do believe is that IF I were to hunt them non stop all year round, I'd kill fewer per day, then if I leave them alone for 6 or 7 months.
I don't hunt them for the money, but it sure is nice to get all my gas money plus some back for the season.
Like slicker said, plenty of others things to do in the summer. Prairie dogs, fishing, honey do's. I don't find it hard at all to leave the coyotes alone.

Not all of us have $30 coyotes Grand Wizard.
tt2.gif

I kill the crap out of them anytime I get the notion. If I didnt use dogs or if I got big money for them I would prolly not hunt in the summer. Its certainly not a moral issue for me. I feel zero remorse, I promise ya that. I do agree with the old timer and say you would kill more in the winter if ya left em alone.

I get what you are saying, and yeah if I held off hunting my spots until fur was prime I would be calling less pressured coyotes. However we all have our individual methods and reasons why we hunt. I could say I do it to help farmers, save fawns, fur, etc etc add infinite...but the true reason I do it is for the rush of adrenaline I get when I see a coyote come bouncing in to my call.

Fishing, shooting, camping or any other outdoor activity does not scratch the coyote itch. I respect your decision to only call when fur is prime, I wish more people would hunt like that, be less educated coyotes.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762.but the true reason I do it is for the rush of adrenaline I get when I see a coyote come bouncing in to my call.

Fishing, shooting, camping or any other outdoor activity does not scratch the coyote itch.

Same here. I've really thought about going all year and have hunted and shot a few in August and September when the temps were down a bit. But a few bucks for fur is nice. And a late season double like this around here, my partner said that's like shooting a trophy buck in his opinion.

Back