VX 5HD leupold

Lorne

I'm looking at the vx5 hd 3-15x44 for my new calling riffle I think these scopes have better glass than the vortex gen2 pst the thing I'm not so sure on is that the max power is only 15 most shots are from gonna be from 100-700 yards and possibly the 1000 yard shots just don't want to buy something and not be happy any help would be great

I'd get something with better clicks for 100 to 1,000 yard field shooting. Optical quality ain't the half of it for that kind of shooting.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: LorneI'm looking at the vx5 hd 3-15x44 for my new calling riffle I think these scopes have better glass than the vortex gen2 pst the thing I'm not so sure on is that the max power is only 15 most shots are from gonna be from 100-700 yards and possibly the 1000 yard shots just don't want to buy something and not be happy any help would be great

15x max is plenty to shoot way out there. Several years ago when I was more into long distance coyote shooting. my longest kill to date is 991 yards. my nightforce 3.5-15 was plenty plenty of scope to get the job done. I have also killed numerous others from 850 on in. that scope has shot half MOA at 1000 yards, 3/8 MOA at 800. you don't need more scope

you mention the PST 2. I mounted one in a fixed scope testing fixture I made and tall target tested it. over the course of 20 MOA I experienced 3/4 MOA of reticle shift. I really wanted to like the scope so I returned it and got a second one, tested it with the exact same result. So I returned it and got another nightforce. no problems of course with it.

my experience with long range coyote shooting is what caused me to sell all my leupolds. I personally think they are decent scopes if you set them and forget them but, I had a mark 4 that had problems and I even sent it in for repairs and they still didn't fix it. After using nightforce I realized just how much issues I had been having. I shoot tighter groups and never have to adjust zero on that rifle.

as for long range coyote shooting, I found trouble with the VLD type bullets expanding, I think they penciled through, they still killed but it might have taken too long to do it. add to that I didn't fel like walking out there, I just got tired of it after a while.

probably more than you wanted to know, LOL

oh on edit, the reticle shift with the PST would account for spin drift if your barrel has the right twist direction,
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Ok I’m going to respond to this op is one of my hunting partners I hunt with the most. He got into checking this scope out because of me talking about it after I talked about it. We are both thinking this would be a great scope for our calling rifles. Now the thing is we won’t be dialing on this scope everyday or multiple times it’s not an long range specially setup. When we are dialing it’s going to be for the occasional hung up coyote. We are wanting a scope with open elevation turret locking turrets would be a big plus and great glass is another one, and light weight is important to if it wasn’t for the lightweight part nightforce would proably be first choice. Plus I think the leupold glass might be a hair brighter then like an nxs or shv. I know the nxs and shv have the same glass I have confirmed this with nightforce. Now another scope I have been pondering is the Zeiss v4 it’s lightweght has the open turret with a zero stop, only down side is no locking turrets. I would prefer locking turrets but do require a zero stop of some type. I currently run a 4-16 pst and have had my turrets move. He is running a viper hs lr the biggest reason we are looking to upgrade is for better glass. But want to keep the option of turning a turret. Not going to be a prs rifle just turning turret for the hung up coyotes. Have thought about a Swarovski z5 with the bt turret too but don’t know have read something bad about there turret not holding plastic parts breaking in it. On Long Rnage Hunting forum the vx5hd and vx6hd has a lot of good reviews. Leupold completely redesigned the erector system in these vx5hd and vx6hds which are supposed to work great. Plus a i think for hunting that the cds in yardage might be the way to go. Any thoughts on my comments go ahead and comment on what I have thrown out there. Any criticism will be taken as constructive criticism.

With all due respect, finding a scope that fills all those requirements may be about like finding a unicorn.

IMO, at some point, you are going to have to compromise something to get the other.

As Dave mentioned earlier, if you plan on doing any dialing for distance you will want a scope that has spot on tracking. The biggest reason you see so many NF scopes on LR or ELR rigs, isn't because NF has the best optics, but they are known for their spot on tracking. Don't get me wrong, NF optics are still very good but it's their tracking that people buy them for the most.

I think you'll have a hard time finding a scope that has great optics, tracks perfectly, is light weight, and has a reasonable price point. Generally, any scope that is known for its spot on tracking, is not going to be light.

If it were me, I'd look for a NF 3.5-15x50 NXS and be done with it. You can often find them used but in like new condition w/ZS for a pretty decent price.

Originally Posted By: zr600Ok I’m going to respond to this op is one of my hunting partners I hunt with the most. He got into checking this scope out because of me talking about it after I talked about it. We are both thinking this would be a great scope for our calling rifles. Now the thing is we won’t be dialing on this scope everyday or multiple times it’s not an long range specially setup. When we are dialing it’s going to be for the occasional hung up coyote. We are wanting a scope with open elevation turret locking turrets would be a big plus and great glass is another one, and light weight is important to if it wasn’t for the lightweight part nightforce would proably be first choice. Plus I think the leupold glass might be a hair brighter then like an nxs or shv. I know the nxs and shv have the same glass I have confirmed this with nightforce. Now another scope I have been pondering is the Zeiss v4 it’s lightweght has the open turret with a zero stop, only down side is no locking turrets. I would prefer locking turrets but do require a zero stop of some type. I currently run a 4-16 pst and have had my turrets move. He is running a viper hs lr the biggest reason we are looking to upgrade is for better glass. But want to keep the option of turning a turret. Not going to be a prs rifle just turning turret for the hung up coyotes. Have thought about a Swarovski z5 with the bt turret too but don’t know have read something bad about there turret not holding plastic parts breaking in it. On Long Rnage Hunting forum the vx5hd and vx6hd has a lot of good reviews. Leupold completely redesigned the erector system in these vx5hd and vx6hds which are supposed to work great. Plus a i think for hunting that the cds in yardage might be the way to go. Any thoughts on my comments go ahead and comment on what I have thrown out there. Any criticism will be taken as constructive criticism.
Sounds like a well thought out plan on the Leupold to me. If you or even your great grandkids have any trouble with it, it will only be a short trip over to Beaverton.

Originally Posted By: zr600Ok I’m going to respond to this op is one of my hunting partners I hunt with the most. He got into checking this scope out because of me talking about it after I talked about it. We are both thinking this would be a great scope for our calling rifles. Now the thing is we won’t be dialing on this scope everyday or multiple times it’s not an long range specially setup. When we are dialing it’s going to be for the occasional hung up coyote. We are wanting a scope with open elevation turret locking turrets would be a big plus and great glass is another one, and light weight is important to if it wasn’t for the lightweight part nightforce would proably be first choice. Plus I think the leupold glass might be a hair brighter then like an nxs or shv. I know the nxs and shv have the same glass I have confirmed this with nightforce. Now another scope I have been pondering is the Zeiss v4 it’s lightweght has the open turret with a zero stop, only down side is no locking turrets. I would prefer locking turrets but do require a zero stop of some type. I currently run a 4-16 pst and have had my turrets move. He is running a viper hs lr the biggest reason we are looking to upgrade is for better glass. But want to keep the option of turning a turret. Not going to be a prs rifle just turning turret for the hung up coyotes. Have thought about a Swarovski z5 with the bt turret too but don’t know have read something bad about there turret not holding plastic parts breaking in it. On Long Rnage Hunting forum the vx5hd and vx6hd has a lot of good reviews. Leupold completely redesigned the erector system in these vx5hd and vx6hds which are supposed to work great. Plus a i think for hunting that the cds in yardage might be the way to go. Any thoughts on my comments go ahead and comment on what I have thrown out there. Any criticism will be taken as constructive criticism. .

Sounds like you have researched the topic and feel this scope will work for you. The only way to truly know is by spending the money and doing your own testing under your own conditions. Report back as to how it turns out.

the zeiss v4 is the most impressive optically scope I have ever seen. Its got awesome reticle choices. The turret is awesome, the windage and parallax are low profile. ummm I want one. I thought it was a lot nicer scope than even the more expensive v6. for me though the 4-16 has the reticle and turret features I want but the 3-12 is actually a better fit for me and they only offer it with a 56mm objective, duplex reticles and no turret. I wish they offered the 3-12 in a 42 mm with the reticles and turret of the 4-16, I told them that, I doubt they will change and offer it.

what I don't know is the tracking. these are made by LOW in japan, so if the 4-16 power range works for you I would give it a try. for me I have 2 guns a 4-16 would work great on but they already have nightforce NXS scopes on them. the 4-16 is a tad more scope than I want on a coyote calling rifle personally. I like 2.5- 3x on the low end for my calling scopes. but the 4-16 V4 has such a big in your face view it might be great anyways.

Originally Posted By: LorneI'm looking at the vx5 hd 3-15x44 for my new calling riffle I think these scopes have better glass than the vortex gen2 pst the thing I'm not so sure on is that the max power is only 15 most shots are from gonna be from 100-700 yards and possibly the 1000 yard shots just don't want to buy something and not be happy any help would be great

By the time you’ve practiced enough to comfortably take shots at those ranges from field positions you will likely have worn out several Leupolds.

Get yourself a Nightforce and get after it.

For what it’s worth, I’ve deliberately tried to break my Zeiss V6 for the last few months and she’s solid as a rock. That is of course a sample size of one, and I’ve even heard there are a few good Viper PSTs our there and I wouldn’t put one on a 22.

Happy hunting!

I have a night force nxs 5.5-22x56 and it is heavy I don't want a ton of weight on a riffle that I pack in a lot like I do for coyote hunting and I think the glass on the vx5 HD is just as good as my night force I mean don't get me wrong the nf is a dam good scope but they are a little heavy for a calling riffle in my mind

NF are too heavy for a calling rifle for me, too. I don't ever dial on a calling stand either though.

I put a VX5 HD 2-10 on my new AR. Went with the VX5 for size, weight, glass, price. I'm thinking the fire dot ox 2x might be actually pretty cool jump shooting jackrabbits too (one of the main uses for the rifle). If it does work well for that, it would also be good for close in fast action coyote. But I haven't done anything but shoot groups off the bench with it so far, so can't yet say how I really like the fire dot. And to be clear, I'm not using the fire dot to shoot groups
smile.gif

It's set it and forget it application for me, so the mushy clicks just don't matter. And I can't say how they track, I haven't attempted to test it. I might try and put it in Steve's test fixture sometime, it's on a QD mount so it would be easy, but, it really doesn't matter, for how I'm using it.

I will say, the clicks do feel like mushy garbage. Just going be feel, they sure don't inspire any confidence.

Glass is real nice though, real, real nice. I bought it at a well stocked LGS and just had them put every variable starting with 1x to 2x they had on the counter. That didn't weigh a ton and didn't cost over a kilobuck. Honestly was not expecting to walk out with the VX5. But, I did... Glass, size, weight, price, reticle (I wanted a simple, unadorned reticle with no Christmas trees or mil dots) - and that fire dot intrigued me. It was just the sweet spot for me, for this application.

Like I said, all I've done with it so far is shoot groups. Over 200 rounds worth of groups. It's certainly holding zero on the AR and the few clicks I've given it to tune zero did what I expected them to. Can't help but be suspicious of the tracking and repeatability of the clicks under semi regular use. But, for all I know they'll hold up fine under your intended use.

- DAA

Have you turned the turret on the ones with the zl2 turret that’s the exposed locking turret? I don’t think the zl2 turrets are bad I can tell when it clicks it’s not a nf turret but I think they are better then an athlon turret. Just wondering if you have felt a zl2 turret like what’s on the 3/15s.

It took a little under 300 rounds to kill my VX6 with the ZL2 turret, failure was catastrophic. That made the third Leupold I had killed in 2017. No more for me.

Try a Zeiss V6 if the Nightforce is too heavy for you.

By catastrophic failure.... I mean the gun that shot these good groups and many more like them was shooting groups like the bad one. You want one?

best image hosting site

nightforce compact isn't too bad, I think they are 19 oz so your about 3 oz heavier. probably overkill but I use my NXS compact as a set it and forget it scope. its got capped turrets anyways. The mil dot reticle I use for hold over for longer shots, I think I have only held over with the reticle on 3 coyotes in the 3 seasons I have used the scope.

for me the scope sits on 2.5x, the lever allows me to flick to max instantly almost. and 10x doesn't end up being so much to make it hard to get back on a 250 yard coyote. for now thats my calling scope subjust to me finding something better.

I am not impressed with leupys that much anymore. I a vx6 and the mag ring is tighter than heck to turn. nothing I can do about it. glass is good but so are many others anymore. I paid nearly a grand for that scope.

personally I am a swaro guy and have 2 x5i's 3x18. but they are expensive so I have less guns now in order to own them but I only cried twice.

I have a vortex pst I put on 22lr and hate that scope. gonna sell it. the other hi grade vortex is not bad at all they say but getting up in the big boy league price wise.

you need to pay attention to the dialing systems and look for reticles you want as not all have what you will need. the shv is a no brainer for long range.

Back