Red lights at night

Indiyote

So I know that the big thing for night hunting is thermal/night vision. My question is how many of you eastern predator hunters still hunt old school with lights? I've really had no success night hunting but can't afford the high tech goodies now. Any tricks to help my success with the red lights

If you live near FarmVille and have access to a lot of big, open fields, red lights are probably fairly effective (so I hear). If you can’t hunt huge fields, they’re a complete waste of time in my experience. I have had very little success night hunting the terrain I have to hunt, but some guys in more open country have good luck with lights. Depends on where you intend to hunt I guess.

Went out with a local and we killed a fox first set. He uses thermal though and I just don't have that kinda coin to drop right now .

All we use is light. Have had a lot of luck with green lenses this year. Never threw a red cover on and shot a couple foxes. All throughout the season. Streamlight waypoint is what we use. The thermal and NV is cool and all but it’s a little bit too expensive right now and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I only hunt using red lights. They are a tool like any other tool and if used correctly you can be very successful. Between last season and this one I have called in over 275 fox and coyotes using lights. Between my shooting partner and I we managed to kill slightly over 200 with around 35 being coyotes.

Feel free to call if you like, I would be more than happy to help you out.

Joe (814) 364-9660

Thanks for the offer joe. Will give you a call sometime if I have future questions. Unfortunately our season is bout done here in indiana. In the meantime I've discovered your show on pursuit channel. Look forward to learning

Last edited:
Hopefully Joe won't mind me replying. The name of the show is USOC Adventures TV and the next show is Monday night 3/5/18 at 9PM.

Not at all weekender, thank you!

So far we have done three episodes one hog/coyote hunt in South Carolina. One coyote hunt last March in NY and the one airing tonight fox/yote hunt was filmed in MD and NY this past December. It will also air again this coming Saturday 3/10 at 9PM eastern.

Joe

Last edited:
Joe,

How many of those coyotes were killed way down wind from the call? Just curious. I can't seem to get them to break cover at night.

Later in the season it does seem that more will angle down wind then not. I always try keep my down wind side open so I can see at least 200 yards or so. A coyote is a coyote and just when you think you have them figured out they throw you a curve ball.

You asked about down wind from the call? Down wind from the call and down wind from me are the same since I keep my call very close to me especially when hunting on dark nights while in open fields.

There are number of things that will keep coyotes from breaking cover such as call volume, light discipline, stand approach, boundary lines, calling pressure, etc. It may not just be one thing it could be a combination of things.

Back