Hastings .640 choke tube for coyotes

Rusty Black

Hey guys...my turkey setup is with this .640 hastings choke its awsome choke outto 60 yards with fed 3.5 number 6s turkey...you think it be safe with buckshot number 4s for coyote out of it safely?

Only way to know for sure is to pattern it. My inclination is to say that is too tight of a choke for buckshot. It will likely pattern better with a more moderate choke constriction.

Yeah, the bore diameter of the gun would factor in. As a comparison, I use a .680 Trulock choke in my ‘back-bored’ Browning. I may be shooting anything from B.B. to #4 buck, but mostly T shot.

My Benelli has a .675” choke. There are an almost endless number of load, gun, choke, & barrel combinations. I’ve never felt the need to go to the tightest choke available. I have used the two Chokes mentioned just fine with #6 Hevi-shot turkey hunting too.

That seems a little tight, but the only way to know is to try it. I run a Dead Coyote from Hevi-shot with a .660 constriction, and I get devastating patterns out to 40 yards and can reach out to 70. I have found that certain loads like looser chokes, like Hornady. Call the choke mfg and make sure that it won't damage it, then go try it.

Back