boyds pro varmint stock

sniper81

just got in this stock to put on my savage varmint barrel 243,looking at it before i put it on i could tell it wasnt made for a heavy barrel, so i put it on and it isnt free floated at all and to free float it i would have to take alot of material off both sides, so my question is does anyone have this stock,and did you try to free float it

Just take a foot long piece of pvc pipe,and wrap some coarse sandpaper around it. Sand the barrel channel down until it fits,then reseal the barrel channel with Tung Oil or any wood sealer.

thought i ordered the wrong one as well but there is no option for HB i dble checked before i ordered it i just got done using a dremel cause it would have taken all night with sand paper,i got some stock sealer on it waiting to dry then ill do a second coat, then ill paint over it, this stock is only going to be used for this year then ill get a mdt

Boyd's has some very weird ways about them with regard to the inletting on their different models.

Example, and it sounds similar to the OP's issue. I re-stocked one of my CZ 527's with a Boyd's, the particular model I wanted to use they did not offer for a 527 Varmint but they did for the 527 American which has a sporter contour barrel. The part that made now sense to me was if I had selected one of the many different styles Boyd's offers I could get one of those for the 527 Varmint. You'd think, if they have offer one model for both the Varmint and American they'd offer the same for all of their models but that isn't the case.

I ended up just ordering the one that was for the American with the sporter barrel channel then opened up the barrel channel with sand paper wrapped around a wood dowel.

Same thing happened to be on one for a Ruger American. They didn't offer the one I wanted for a heavy barrel so I just sanded out the channel.

Originally Posted By: sniper81thought i ordered the wrong one as well but there is no option for HB i dble checked before i ordered it i just got done using a dremel cause it would have taken all night with sand paper,i got some stock sealer on it waiting to dry then ill do a second coat, then ill paint over it, this stock is only going to be used for this year then ill get a mdt

It takes me 15-20 minutes to open up a barrel channel using a piece of pvc pipe and sandpaper. It isn't very hard to do.

well it only took my 5min with a dremel, i didnt have the correct sandpaper or a pvc pipe, so i used what i had, and like i said the stock is only going to be used for maybe a year then the rifle is going into a mdt chassi

Back