AR 15 Scope Mount

newmexkid

OK. The AR newby is back. Now looking at a scope for my AR 15 DPMS Flattop. So, what should I be looking for a far as mounts. I will be putting a Nikon Black X1000 4x16x50 on it. I have one on my .20 Practical and like it a lot. I was initial thinking I would need at the very least medium rings. Then I see the, "cantilever" scope mount that facilitates correct eye relief and head placement for a AR. What are you guys using?

I use high rings on a 50 MM. Mine are Weaver style rings from various makers though I really like the Burris Signatures with the inserts.. I mount it on the rail with as much spread as possible. I don;t have any eye relief issues with mine or head placement difficulty.

Greg

im using a $25 Weaver Picatinny Riser, wever med grand slam rings and a leupold compact 3-9×33, height is perfect with an A2 stock

Originally Posted By: greengt88im using a $25 Weaver Picatinny Riser, wever med grand slam rings and a leupold compact 3-9×33, height is perfect with an A2 stock

Sorry, should have noted it... I will not be moving the scope to other rifle and I have the A2 stock.

Originally Posted By: newmexkidSo, do you guys think I should be able to get away with just using high rings without the riser?

you probably can, nightforce makes a 1.5" to center 30mm extra high ring now. there are probably some others out there. I personally like my scope with more height than most guys. I like mine to be about 1.7 from base to centerline. RRA's mount is heavy at 10 oz. bsquare makes a hokey looking mount that also works for me both are about 1.7 but that only works for 1" scopes. if I am running 30 mm, I use a RRA EOP upper that gives me .75 rise, then I go with nightforce rings that add 1" I think they are mediums I can't remember.

to me high rigns arent enough. i need a riser with them to be comfortable. may be personal preference but i feel without that little bit extra i'm forcing myself into position to see through the optic correctly.

anytime you have to force your body into position, you're putting undue stress on yourself and making accurate, precise shooting more difficult.

i have since switched to nikon P series rings - to me they're quite a bit more comfortable.

you dont have to do p-series specifically, but i might suggest that if possible you should consider an ar-specific ring height.

Originally Posted By: newmexkidSo, do you guys think I should be able to get away with just using high rings without the riser? I my opinion, no.

I have used a variety of mounts over the years. Back when the AR-15 was first breaking into the hunting market, we used medium rings. But getting the right relief was difficult. Going to high rings worked just fine. But with the cantilever mounts these days, you are probably better off doing that. There are low cost mounts available that will get the job done out to about 300 yards. Nikon makes the "P" series mounts that work. The "M" series are better. If you're going out further than that, then go to a higher quality mount like the Burris, etc...

Originally Posted By: Catdog1If u dont plan on removing and reattaching it all the time, I love the Nikon P-Series Rings.

I've had good luck with these rings. Have two sets one for 300bo and other on recent 223 build. Not bad for $49.

Center line of scope to center line of bore.
I like to start at 3 inches.
When your cheek is touching your butt stock.
You should be looking dead center of your scope.
That is with your face square with the scope face.
You should not be looking thru your eye brow.
Here are two different ARMS mounts.
These are Burris Xtreme rings.
This lets me remove my scope when cleaning.
I have this setup on most of my AR's
I have a leveling bubble mounted.

[img:center][/img]

All 3 of our Rock Rivers have Rock River cantilever scope mounts holding Leupold Mark AR scopes. Near as perfect as I can tell, good height, eye relief, and solid. 2 rifles have A2 stocks, with the other a MagPul adjustable stock.

Originally Posted By: Fireman DahlWilly1947,
What model numbers are those two ARMS mounts?

19A for the short one
63 for the taller one

Back