New Savage 17 Hornet..first shots

kfin

My new Model 25 WV in 17 Hornet arrived this week. I put a Leupold 4-12 it and got to shoot it finally today. Granted only 8 shots, but I think it is gonna be a keeper. The action is really smooth. I'm a big Savage fan but had read a lot of people having problems with it a few years ago on this, looked at the highly touted CZ but went with old faithful Savage.

The shots on the target were with factory 25 grain HP, gonna be hard to beat but I will. My stash of bullets right now for loading is 20 and 25 grain vmax, 20 grain DogTown HP, I still have to pick up some Hornady 25 grain HP that I have the factory loads of. We will see which one she likes the best.

As far as powders I'm gonna try. I have picked up a lb of IMR 4198 and Accurate 1680. Nobody has had any N120 or AA2200 so I'm going to order those today. I wish we could get whatever powder that Hornady is putting in these Factory loads. My gun seems to like it after only 8 shots. Any others good ones? Might pick up a lb of Lil Gun too.

I shot 4 times at a different target to get sighted in. Then fired these 4 at 50 yards. I knew I pulled on the 2nd shot before I even looked at it. These are 1/2" squares on the target. Shots 1, 3 and 4 are all touching. Didn't have time to shoot any more today though but I can't wait to shoot it a bunch and develop a great load for it.

MMfIf0R.jpg

Last edited:
I got my CZ 527 .17 Hornet late last summer and have just be amazed with it's accuracy. Both the 20 grain and 25 grain factory loads have shot less than 1/2" five shot groups for me. My reloads of using AA-1680, CFE Blk, and H110 have all shot less than 3/8" 100 yard groups using the 20 grain Vmax and Berger bullets. I like the CCI BR primer too.

If your Savage shoots anywhere near as good as my CZ does then you are in for some great shooting. Looks to me like you are on your way!

Yea I think it is going to be a fun caliber. I'm sure I'll get around to checking some of those powders out. How big of a difference have you noticed in primers? I've never really messed with em, buy whatever was on sale or I could get at the time. I currently have a pile of CCI 400, Winchester, and Sellier and Bellot. I've had great luck with the S/B in my 223s and handguns.

my 17hh m25 shoots just like that (at 100 yds) with the factory 25gr hp. in fact it shoots like that with all the bullet types and weights.

i have inspected the powder used in the factory 25gr hp and it looks identical to 1680. if its not 1680 i will eat a mangy coyote raw. i load the 25's with the same weight of 1680 as in the factory round and get the same accuracy as the factory ammo.

lil gun and 2200 are also great in the 17hh.

it dont seem picky on what primer i use.

edit to add, the 25 hp will turn the insides of a coyote to mush. never exits. great fur round for coyote.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnoti have inspected the powder used in the factory 25gr hp and it looks identical to 1680. if its not 1680 i will eat a mangy coyote raw. i load the 25's with the same weight of 1680 as in the factory round and get the same accuracy as the factory ammo.

Good to know. Care to say what the charge is? Or shall I take one apart and start weighing?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot
lil gun and 2200 are also great in the 17hh.

it dont seem picky on what primer i use.

I'm gonna experiment with it with multiple loads this spring. Bullet, powder, weights, COLs. Hopefully 1 will shine better than the rest, but it wouldn't surprise me if this thing didn't do well with about all of them.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot
the 25 hp will turn the insides of a coyote to mush. never exits. great fur round for coyote.

I have read where a lot of people like the HP for fur friendly, which I want to be. In 223 I love the 55 grain Vmax. Do you like the HP better than the Vmax in your 17 Hornet for both killing and fur friendly?

Originally Posted By: kfinDo you like the HP better than the Vmax in your 17 Hornet for both killing and fur friendly?

yes, yes, yes. 25hp for coyotes. use the vmax for smaller critters.

i will look and see what that charge of 1680 is in the morning.

Don't know about the Savage 17 Hornets but with the CZ 527 17 Hornets 12-12.2gr of 1680 w/20gr Vmax seems to usually shoot very well.

Originally Posted By: B23Don't know about the Savage 17 Hornets but with the CZ 527 17 Hornets 12-12.2gr of 1680 w/20gr Vmax seems to usually shoot very well.

I have found this to be true. AA 1680 is widely popular with the .17 Hornet fans. Sure works good for me. If this was the only powder available for that round I would be OK with it.

Not the same as a Model 25 but I have a Model 40 Savage (22H) and when I bought it, I bought it for the same reasons you bought yours.Looks like you have a good one. I wish they made the 25 with a lighter barrel.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot11.1 grains is what is in the 25gr hp factory load.

Thanks for that info. It never ceases to amaze me though. I grabbed my new 50 edition Lyman book to see where that falls in the range so I could work up some loads. LMAO, the beginning load is 9.9 and the max is 10.7. I'm sure you pulled one and weighed it, so I'll just sit here and laugh....

Back