Need some math/building wizzes

Rock Knocker

I had another slow thread about this cabin building project going but I figured I would start another one to get some math guys in here.

I'm going to be building a cordwood house. I'm thinking about 25'x35' floor plan with 24" thick 9' tall walls. I am trying to figure out how many cords of wood I am going to need to complete this, take in mind 25% of the wall is going to be mortar between the wood logs.

Here's a picture of the type of building I am planning on.

Excellent, thank you.

I found 15 cords of dried white cedar and sounds like the guy is going to give me a good price. Some of the wall space will be taken up by windows and doors but I was also hoping to have the back 15 feet raised a little to fit a loft.

It's going to be one heck of a project. Once I sell my house I will have very limited internet connection but I will get pictures and show what I can.

I'm good at getting things done. Planing and budgeting, not so much.

I think I am doing good on the wood budget, I just need to figure out how much cement I will need for the base then mortar to use on the walls.

Running sewer and electric is new to me also, both will be minimal but I need to find out a dollar amount for both.

I'm excited to get working but that's a ways off and once I know on paper what I am dealing with it will be weight off my back, ironically that's when all the real weight will be added.

Is your floor plain 25x 35 inside or out side? What type of mortar sticks to wood to seal. We never put any type concrete product around any of the cedar fence posts we put in especially our corners and H braces. What you see on the outside will be what you see on the inside? I saw them on that TV show doing it, hope it works for ya. There the biggest joke horse back but that's show biz not many folks know the difference.

So far I am planning on 25'x35' on the outside. The mortar is a mix of sand, lime, cement and wood saw dust, and what you see on the outside is what you see on the inside.

The exact plans are slowly coming together and it looks like everything is fitting in the budget. The exterior will be cedar and mortar. On the inside there will be a 9"x9" or 10"x10" oak or red maple post and beam structure set slightly into the wall. I will have a steel roof and with everything exterior being cedar and everything structural interior hardwoods this house will be standing strong in 100 years.

Back