Reloading bench/table?

Here's my gun bench in the man cave. 2x4 frame topped with 3/4" a.c. ply with 1x6 pine face frame.. haven't got the front stained yet or the top finished. Wanted to make sure I liked my layout first... I'm planning on a white Formica top.. ][/url]

It's a mess at the moment this pic got snapped.. lol

I like 1 1/2" plywood for a top, with some overhang that will allow you to use c clamps on.

It is a good idea to put benches along at least two walls with 16-20' of total bench top, shelves above and below, leave room for gun safe, TV on wall. You will use all the bench top sooner or later.

clean guns in the garage, a gun caddy like this works well at home and in the field:

IMGP0015.jpg
[/URL]

IMGP0016.jpg
[/URL]

IMGP0017_1.jpg
[/URL]

These can be made out of simple plywood scraps, gas pipe screw together legs so that all cleaning supplies and legs fit in box. The piece of flat stock on top is used for sitting a simple gun vise on, mounting scopes, and bore sighting.

Case trimmers, grinders, etc can be mounted on a piece of plywood or 1x10", c clamped to bench top when needed, removed and put out of sight on a shelf when NOT needed. Same with Shot shell loaders, dillons, etc. This will free up bench top for more junk. More junk is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Last edited:
my bench is made from mostly repurposed shelving unit from my last house i rented. then again i dont have a Mrs. Plant.one to keep happy either
wink.gif

2x4 framing, double 1/2" OSB for the top. 48x30 for the small side, 96x30 for the big leg.

i put an additional 2x4 framed shelf below for added stability - as well as storage! - and added in a 96x12" shelf above for additional storage and a place to mount my LED strip lights onto.

i did not attach it to any walls as i'm forbidden as a renter.

when i move again i now have some 3/4" hardboard (particle board) that i'll redo the tops with to give a smoother finish than the OSB allows, as well as a bit of extra rigidity but otherwise i dont really plan to change the design much if the space allows it other than smoothing out the surface a bit.

as mentioned this was thrown together from repurposed lumber. if i had to buy all the material i would have done something like pre-made counter top, or even used plywood and either painted or stained it give it a more finished look. wouldnt be overly hard to pretty this layout and design a bit.

FtQJ0j9.jpg

HTH

The one common thing we all seem to suffer from, along with shops and gun safes, is they are never big enough.

My wife, often, tells me when I have more space I just acquire more stuff. Umm, ok, and your point is?!

Originally Posted By: B23The one common thing we all seem to suffer from, along with shops and gun safes, is they are never big enough.

My wife, often, tells me when I have more space I just acquire more stuff. Umm, ok, and your point is?!

amen..

i started on a 2x2 countertop on an old cabinet. switched to the 48x30 bench, and then added the other 96" wing on when i got moved and had the extra material.

i'm already out of space and thinking of adding more shelving.

I've gone the wood door route. I picked up a couple doors from a local architectural door distributor. The ones I got were returned from a job site since they were machined wrong. Ripped 4" off the lock side, joined them together at the ends, and put them on angled wall supports. Put a 1" steel pipe directly under my progressive. 14+ feet of bench, pre-finished and solid as all get out.

Old solid core doors form a contractor that does renovations or used countertops from a cabinetmaker/installer are an inexpensive way to get started for sure. Ackleyman's lil rack/stand set-up there is innovative too - as usual...lol!

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onemy bench is made from mostly repurposed shelving unit from my last house i rented. then again i dont have a Mrs. Plant.one to keep happy either
wink.gif

2x4 framing, double 1/2" OSB for the top. 48x30 for the small side, 96x30 for the big leg.

i put an additional 2x4 framed shelf below for added stability - as well as storage! - and added in a 96x12" shelf above for additional storage and a place to mount my LED strip lights onto.

when i move again i now have some 3/4" hardboard (particle board) that i'll redo the tops with to give a smoother finish than the OSB allows, as well as a bit of extra rigidity but otherwise i dont really plan to change the design much if the space allows it other than smoothing out the surface a bit.

as mentioned this was thrown together from repurposed lumber. if i had to buy all the material i would have done something like pre-made counter top, or even used plywood and either painted or stained it give it a more finished look. wouldnt be overly hard to pretty this layout and design a bit.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/FtQJ0j9.jpg

HTH

Wow I really need to get that organized. I've got crap scattered.

hahahahahah oh god thats funny... thats an old pic and i pretty'ed things up to take it... its nowhere near that organized these days... well its still organized, but there's a lot more stuff on the benchtop.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onehahahahahah oh god thats funny... thats an old pic and i pretty'ed things up to take it... its nowhere near that organized these days... well its still organized, but there's a lot more stuff on the benchtop.

That's my biggest battle, keeping the bench top clutter free. It just turns into a catch-all in my garage and then when I want to load I have to spend 30 minutes cleaning the [beeep] off and by the time I'm done I'm too tired or pissed off to load.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanClutter is a sign of above average IQ, genus level in fact!

In which case, I should be locked away in a NASA laboratory somewhere very secret....LOL!

Originally Posted By: wormydog1724Originally Posted By: Plant.Onehahahahahah oh god thats funny... thats an old pic and i pretty'ed things up to take it... its nowhere near that organized these days... well its still organized, but there's a lot more stuff on the benchtop.

That's my biggest battle, keeping the bench top clutter free. It just turns into a catch-all in my garage and then when I want to load I have to spend 30 minutes cleaning the [beeep] off and by the time I'm done I'm too tired or pissed off to load.

Its a vicious cycle! Lol

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onemy bench is made from mostly repurposed shelving unit from my last house i rented. then again i dont have a Mrs. Plant.one to keep happy either
wink.gif

FtQJ0j9.jpg

HTH

Nice

Originally Posted By: GLShooterWorks for me.

AsZomfA.jpg

Greg

With that many presses how do you get to the back to use any of the other equipment.. Dan

The stuff in the back is stuff brought forward as I need it. On the left are the 650 tool heads that doesn't get changed much. The arbor press is used for some decapping chores and the rare BR die loading. The powder dispenser,since replaced with an RCBS, gets rotated out if I am loading on AA turret to the right. There is about 15" between presses so there is plenty of room between each for holding a bullet tray and brass bin. I can only load on one press at a time..so far.

The small table is a bit tighter but I don't do a great deal of shotgun loading but there is plenty of room to work with any of the four permanent mount presses. If I want to use the 28 gauge or the special 2" 12 gauge press I just swap out onto the 9000G position with four wing nuts.

If there is any area that needs law and order it would be my die storage. They are stacked two deep in here and since this pic was added I've probably picked up another 15 sets. I stack them via caliber and the ones in the behind are duplicates or low usage like. The bottom two box levels are for handgun and the ones below that have some of my Dillon conversion gear.

CGxWtLs.jpg

Greg

Back