ATF (what goes on that takes so long)????

Paccar

Can someone tell me (yes I know nothing the government does is fast) but holy cow what actually goes on in that place?? How on earth can it take this long in the age of computers and fast background checks?

I honestly would not mind the $200 stamp just why can't they find a way to nock the wait time down to say 1 month or less. I think the Hearing Protection Act is a long shot so why not take another route and just get the wait times down?? Are they working on it at the ATF???

Would like to get another can but the wait is painfull
Thanks.

Last edited:
If you owed them money they would want it yesterday. I’m on the fence about purchasing my first suppressor due to the long wait, I want to add my son on a trust but hear the wait time is longer
mad.gif

It is what it is and you know that going into it. Does the wait suck? Yes! But it's not like they said it would take a month and then switched it to a year after you turned in your paperwork. Do it or don't. But in the end, you'll be the one missing out and the government wins by keeping you from taking advantage of something you could be enjoying and sharing with your family.

They are doing whatever it takes to discourage you from buying those evil devices. The question is who is going to win?

Mainly it's that it chokes down into one office with a few people doing the research. I had to call them a few times not only on my stamp but on other FFL issues, and when you get in touch with the right people, things can get done VERY fast on their end. The panic caused by the change in the regs caused a mad rush and the ATF did not increase staffing. So it choked it and caused the backlog.

Originally Posted By: GkrepsIf you owed them money they would want it yesterday. I’m on the fence about purchasing my first suppressor due to the long wait, I want to add my son on a trust but hear the wait time is longer
mad.gif

Hate to tell you but waiting to turn in the paper work is only going to make the wait longer before you get it. Send it in and forget about it. It will eventually get to you.

It's the price of admission to stick it to the opposition.

Jump in, the water is fine.

Although a Trust may/may not take longer at this point in time, IMO it is the only way to go.

Last edited:
When the eForms were still up and working like they were supposed to, Form 1's (the manufacture of SBR's, SBS's, Suppressors, etc) were taking as little as 35 days. I had three take right around that. I did two SBR's and one suppressor that I now hunt with.
So it is possible to get the time's down. Now that there's the additional requirements of fingerprints and passport photos for everyone on the trust, it slows things down a bit due to more background checks and due diligence. And the sheer volume of submissions right before 41f went through really put a back log on things.
I hear it's getting better because they've hired additional agents and the volume of new submissions peaked sometime ago.
I jumped into suppressors when I was in college. Paper forms were taking anywhere from 6 to 9 months so every 6 months I'd buy and submit another one. I did that for a few years. Everyday you wait to get things started is another day from having it.

Once you hunt suppressed, you will never hunt any other way.

I called last week to ATF to check on my Form 1, SBR.
The lady was very nice, told me they are running eight months.
They have had mine for 6 1/2 months, looks like June.

I doubt that it is comparable, but when I was a medical resident and served a couple of months at a VA hospital, it was incredible how slow and inefficient the employed staff were. The docs and nurses were great - the lab, administrative staff, etc seemed to go out of their way to constantly make a mountain out of a molehill. Absolutely painful. Now, I doubt that the ATF is nearly that bad - every time I have called them they have been very helpful - so I give them the benefit of the doubt as probably being understaffed. Still, there may be an underlying current of having a "government job" that doesn't have the same efficiency and urgency as a private sector position

I was told "the more background information about you, the longer it takes". Must be why vetting imigrates can be so easy. No birth certificate, no formal ID, no background or fingerprint records come on in the doors open.

Back