Snowshoes

Finished up with meetings yesterday afternoon and was home by 4:30 pm. I had booked today off (Friday) from work to get some stuff done and of course go out for a coyote hunt in the morning,
During the past few outings when sitting south of the the big sloughs, I had noticed a few coyotes leave the slough bottoms and head north, so that would be the area I would hunt today.
After getting home yesterday afternoon and once the car was unpacked, I was off with the snowmobile to check out the area for coyote trails.
Found some well packed trails and a good spot to sit so the plans were put in place for the Friday morning hunt.
Parked the truck at a lease site and from there walked out to cut yesterdays snowmobile track for ease of walking across the field.
Got set up in front of a big snowdrift and sat there for only a few minutes before seeing my first coyote. Ranged the coyote at 236 yards and hoped it would come closer but it didn’t. Over the next 20 minutes seen an additional 5 coyotes but they were all to the north and just milling about in the field. I figured if nothing came along , I would try make a stalk on these coyotes. A few minutes pass and I see a coyote coming down the trail I was watching but from the opposite direction I expected. Once it dropped into a dip, I got re-positioned for when it would reappear. The coyote crests the hill but stops as it looks to have me on its radar screen. I settled the cross hairs on its chest and shot flew true to my target. After the shot I watched the other coyotes scatter across the field but of course, none towards me.

Congrats on #59! The only thing I can picture in my mind the way you describe your hunts is being in the old Duck Hunt game on the original Nintendo, coyotes all over the place. Again, congrats!

Congrats to another coyote down in the books. If I can ask, what is the most number of coyotes you have harvested in one year. Thanks and congrats for the pic and story.

Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyoteCongrats on #59! The only thing I can picture in my mind the way you describe your hunts is being in the old Duck Hunt game on the original Nintendo, coyotes all over the place. Again, congrats!
lol, I shot a lot of ducks with my sons Nintendo! (kinda of dating ourselves here
smile.gif
)
A lot of my coyote hunting is near their food sources which does escalate the numbers.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats to another coyote down in the books. If I can ask, what is the most number of coyotes you have harvested in one year. Thanks and congrats for the pic and story.
My best year was 121 harvested with 92 keepers. (early 1990's)
However the fur prices weren't real great!

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrLooking forward to # 60 Snowshoes. Keep up the good work and stories with the pics.
thumbup.gif
I hoped to connect on #60 today but it wasn't to be.

Originally Posted By: fratriThat's another nice story... Thanks for taking the time, you always give us a nice read
Congrats
Thank you fratri, appreciate the comments!

Back