Good rifle brand

Hoss2018

Im looking to buy a new predator rifle when i turn 18, i would like to get a rifle for under 500 bucks if possible and i want 556/223 because of the ammo price and i know thats a good caliber for bobcats and coyote. I dont care if its a bolt action, ar, whatever i just dont want a savage as im not impressed with the one savage 17 wsm that is my current predator gun. I was really interested in the ruger ranch but have read reviews of terrible mag feeding. Any recomendations on a rifle that is reliable and affordable?

You can't compare the WSM to the rest of the Savage line of rifles. But thats my opinion. An Axis/Edge will kill coyotes and cats just fine as will a Model 10 or 12. Howa ia pretty good, Ruger American is too. Don't worry about the feeding issue. If you have a problem, its probably the mag and Ruger will replace it. Shop around, they are out there. Might even look at CZ, lot of rifle for the money.

Originally Posted By: Hoss2018Im looking to buy a new predator rifle when i turn 18, i would like to get a rifle for under 500 bucks if possible and i want 556/223 because of the ammo price and i know thats a good caliber for bobcats and coyote. I dont care if its a bolt action, ar, whatever i just dont want a savage as im not impressed with the one savage 17 wsm that is my current predator gun. I was really interested in the ruger ranch but have read reviews of terrible mag feeding. Any recomendations on a rifle that is reliable and affordable?

This should take care of the magazine problems https://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26965.html

I hate to say it but if I was looking for an accurate cost effective rifle it would be a newer Savage. I would avoid Remington. I wouldnt judge a centerfire Savage off of their rimfires.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I will definitely look into the howas and wont cross ruger off the list yet, i guess id be willing to look at a savage but man their centerfire design better be better than the 17 wsm, that thing hasnt let me down to bad but the bolt design, safety design and magazine on that thing are terrible in my opinion

And if i could find a tikka for a good price id jump on that before anything else probably because i here those are great rifles, if it comes down to it and i dont find anything cheaper i like i might just buy a new tikka but if theres cheaper ones i should go with em because this gun will get used alot and probably take a beating lol

Last edited:
tell you what buddy. look into a thompson center venture.
they are extremely accurate. feed and function great. adjustable trigger and can be made even better with a simple trigger spring swap. stock is fairly stiff and better than most.

think there is a $75 rebate right now also. look around and you can be into a brand new one for about $340.00 after rebate.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod...t+223+Remington

you can not beat it for the price.

I have been shooting the Tikka T3's since they came out, always trying different models and now the T3x. All have performed out of the box with no troubles.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnottell you what buddy. look into a thompson center venture.
they are extremely accurate. feed and function great. adjustable trigger and can be made even better with a simple trigger spring swap. stock is fairly stiff and better than most.

think there is a $75 rebate right now also. look around and you can be into a brand new one for about $340.00 after rebate.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod...t+223+Remington

you can not beat it for the price.

I second this! Amazing rifles for the money

Last edited:
I am a Tikka guy as well : but honestly the price of the Venture is so low right now ,it's amazing !
The Venture stock with Hogue rubber panels is hard for any of the other under $500 guns to compensate
With! Pillar bedded right from the factory, whole firearm is X braced with a super thick webbing. No question
I prefer the stock over the T3's. Great triggers. Shoot bug holes, Amazing value as I am seeing them advertised
Down at Compass prices??? Combined with the $75 rebate it has to be the best " bang for the buck" out there!

A T/C Venture in .22-250. This one is even in Iowa
smile.gif

J1-18@175(2) by jrhranch, on Flickr
Good Luck!!

People have a bad opinion of Remington now it seems but I recently picked up a SPS tactical that is shooting less that one minute at 700 yards which is not great but not bad for a five hundred dollar rifle.
I scoped the barrel and it is the best looking barrel I have seen on a factory rifle for a while.No machine marks at all. Might be a fluke I don't know.

I have also a Mossberg MVP in .223 that shoots less than 1/2 inch at one hundred.It was also about five hundred out the door.
It has detachable mag. Uses AR15 mags. Has good laminated stock.Pretty good trigger.

The biggest thing about some of the entery level Rugers and Savages I dont like is the mags.
Pretty good rifle but the plastic mags are not much.
I had a ruger and the mag was no good. Contacted Ruger and the sent me a new mag with out a word. It was just like the first one.

Just to mention a couple not mentioned before.

The thing that worries me about remington is i heard their 700s had misfire issues recently and idk if they have fixed that yet or what

I gotta go with tnshootist here on the Remingtons. Yes, they, as well as others have been on the QC rollercoaster. Incidentally, I have a T/C Venture at the factory right now for some accuracy issues. Its been there for 2 months. I still love a Rem700. In fact, just bought another one in .22-250 3 weeks ago. Just an ADL for $400. But I like to fiddle with building them out because they are so easy to upgrade with endless parts available. And it is a shooter if I do my part!!
R700 .22-250 build by jrhranch, on Flickr

Back