The old honey hole

tripod3

After killing 26 coyotes here in the last 12 months I figured it would be dry for awhile.
Today the rancher called with activity.
I drove up there and got one immediately on the ridge at 308 yds.
It faced me with head low and an easy shot. 10 minutes later a group sounded off in the background. Sounds like some more shooting.

[img:center][/img]

You can never remove the coyote. They used to poison them with Cyanide and couldn't get them all. The ultimate survivor.

Just curious; do you typically have landowners that will text and / or call you with sightings?
Do you ask them to notify you, or are they having problems with coyotes and requesting that you come out?

Originally Posted By: reloader326Just curious; do you typically have landowners that will text and / or call you with sightings?
Do you ask them to notify you, or are they having problems with coyotes and requesting that you come out?

Yes I have half dozen ranchers that contact me upon seeing them and right now they are all calving so it is common to see coyotes waiting around a cow laboring.
This morning another rancher called while I was sitting on the honey hole, he had 3 coyotes camped out on a young cow in labor. I was able to get there and knock one out at 260 yds. the other two fled and showed up across the draw at over 500 yds.
I have to be sneaky cause the joke is every coyote in 3 counties knows my truck, how many cylinders and what kind of gas I burn.

Originally Posted By: weekenderEverybody wants honey holes like that, but very few ever get to find one that productive.

This one has been a lifetime highlight for me, ranchers throughout the region know about it.
The landowners and family have been out there feeding or rounding up cattle and they say the coyote skeletons are everywhere. They call it the mass grave site.

Originally Posted By: tripod3Originally Posted By: reloader326Just curious; do you typically have landowners that will text and / or call you with sightings?

Yes I have half dozen ranchers that contact me upon seeing them and right now they are all calving so it is common to see coyotes waiting around a cow laboring.
This morning another rancher called while I was sitting on the honey hole, he had 3 coyotes camped out on a young cow in labor. I was able to get there and knock one out at 260 yds. the other two fled and showed up across the draw at over 500 yds.
I have to be sneaky cause the joke is every coyote in 3 counties knows my truck, how many cylinders and what kind of gas I burn.

Better get an electric car!
That’s good, I have one landowner that texts me, but hasn’t been seeing any yet.

The honey hole pays out again. A little howling and I see ears.
Two coyotes pop up on a rocky hump skylighted when I pop one at 214 yds. It does the death run somewhat towards me, piling up just over 50 extra yards.
This is like the never ending gold mine.
The rancher is watching from the tractor across the way.
He loaded up more bales and I spoke with him briefly before he headed into another field.
As he shut the gate with a cow mob surrounding him I headed to another ranch when bingo there was a coyote hiding from him behind a bush. 160 yds bangflop.

Wow that's an amazing amount of coyotes. What do you attribute the numbers to? No trapping in WA is there?

Your story and hunting prowess is inspiring.

I have calculated my own set of practical reasons about this.
Of course no trapping or hound hunting play a part.
The rest of the reasons have really played to me.
I will see if the rancher can take me out to get any pictures of the coyotes.
Still looking for the next one.

Where in WA? In Oregon here... I would maybe roadtrip for a guided hunt or two, in exchange for a nice dinner out after, and maybe a trade for some Smallmouth bass fiching in the summer......LOL!!

Sounds like an awesome place..

Last edited:
This one is my secret spot and will be so til I get the last one.
Ha, we all know that will never happen but in my shape this is pure fun with a measured cost.
Maybe let it cool off by going to the next hotspot which actually has more coyotes.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I have calculated my own set of practical reasons about this.
Of course no trapping or hound hunting play a part.
The rest of the reasons have really played to me.
I will see if the rancher can take me out to get any pictures of the coyotes.
Still looking for the next one.

I think you hit it, it's a honey hole. An area will hold coyotes when there is enough food, water and territory. I have a handful of honey holes that always seem to pay off. I don't hammer them too many times each season, just enough to keep the populations healthy.

Great job and great info!

Back