First Experience with 300 Video

daddyflea

OK Guys my first experience with the 300 BO leaves me thinking pretty low on power. In this Video I am shooting a Suppressed 300 BO using Full Power 110gr Full Boar Ammo. After watching this video I think at least 125gr is needed. All the pigs except the first one shot had two holes in them. Please give some Ammo recommendations. I do reload and I settled on H110 18.5grs behind the 110gr bullets and H110 18grs behind the 125gr bullet. Using Sierra Game King Prohunter bullets.

Video is here

or

try the 125 sst, that bullet has been a solid killer in the blackout, as long as you stay inside its expansion velocity envelope. it'll fall off right around 1600 fps, so you will probably be limited to around 150-175 yds with it give or take a bit - depending of course on your MV.

the new 135 ftx looks promising as well, but i havent had a chance to put it on meat yet to start to see how it acts in the real world. its still too young in the market to really get a feel for it. however its terminal range should be similar to that of the 125 SST.

on top of that, it looks like the Sierra prohunter you're using has a min expansion velocity of 1800 fps. at a 2100 fps MV, it runs out of expansion steam at like 100 yds. if you're under that on your MV, the bullet might be almost ice-picking on you at that distance.

with any of these bullets, the closer you get to that minimum expansion threshold, the more likely you are to expierence a failure.

just stuff to consider when making bullet choices for hunting with it
smile.gif

Little bit of light reading for you
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=97188

HTH

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onetry the 125 sst, that bullet has been a solid killer in the blackout, as long as you stay inside its expansion velocity envelope. it'll fall off right around 1600 fps, so you will probably be limited to around 150-175 yds with it give or take a bit - depending of course on your MV.

the new 135 ftx looks promising as well, but i havent had a chance to put it on meat yet to start to see how it acts in the real world. its still too young in the market to really get a feel for it. however its terminal range should be similar to that of the 125 SST.

on top of that, it looks like the Sierra prohunter you're using has a min expansion velocity of 1800 fps. at a 2100 fps MV, it runs out of expansion steam at like 100 yds. if you're under that on your MV, the bullet might be almost ice-picking on you at that distance.

with any of these bullets, the closer you get to that minimum expansion threshold, the more likely you are to expierence a failure.

just stuff to consider when making bullet choices for hunting with it
smile.gif

Little bit of light reading for you
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=97188

HTH

Thanks that was just what I needed. I am running 16" suppressed so I am guessing right about 2200 FPS. From killing 400 Hogs last several months with a 308 this will be a learning experience. The 125 Sierra Prohunter in the 308 is extremely deadly. I realize the 300 does not have the Velocity but after shooting the Hogs in the Video I feel I need more penetration and less expansion. I killed a Coyote last night with the round but he was 75yds and DRT. Just have to get on some Hogs and give it a try. I also bought 300 rds of Sierra 110 Varmiter so if the 125s dont work I have something else to hit them with.

what range are you trying to shoot them out to?

at 2150 fps with the 125 sst, zero it for 125 yds, and at 175, you're only -3.2" and still above the minimum expansion velocity of the bullet. i dont really call that dropping like a stone... although it does fall off past there pretty hard.

cUvJz5QNQ5iEZK8HTBgWaQ.png

my barrel really likes them at 2050, which with a 100yd zero still gives me a 150 mpbr of 2.5" and rarely do i hunt much past 125 due to terrain.

Remington Hog Hammer will drop them. The only thing I don't like is they ricochet like crazy. You won't have any trouble with them not going all the way through unless you're shooting big hogs.

Most shots start at 100yds then continue to 200. Real life tests show that my bullets are approximately 3 to 4" high at 100 and about 8" low at 200. 110s are the same height at 100 maybe a little higher but dead on at 200. I know this is a short range caliber but old habits are hard to break. I made this video shooting 125s.

A few buddies and I shot 36 hogs in Texas last weekend. We were using Hornady Black 110 grain V-Max and Hog Hammer. I wasn't really that impressed with the V-Max on hogs but with a head shot they did alright. The ones I hit in the body required several shots to put them down. They work fine on coyotes but then again so did the Hog Hammers. Out past 150 yards I don't have much confidence in the 300 blackout for hogs unless it's a head shot. Those son of a guns can take a lot of heat and keep runnin.

Back